Streetlight Concepts

EmmaJaeHope

Joined Nov 26, 2022
If you have time, please take our survey here for our school project on redesigning light posts. You might remember our group when we originally gathered data for our problem. We want to redesign streetlights to minimize light pollution in Florida cities, specifically in the suburbs.

The URL for our form is here:
https://forms.office.com/r/kUJLLznLk1

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Note that this is a highly self-selective survey that will provide little to no useful information because the representative viewpoint is that held by the vast majority of people that did NOT respond.

The result of these kinds of surveys is that people think that they have learned something because they assume that the tiny fraction of people that chose to respond is somehow representative. This actually represents negative knowledge in that you almost certainly think you've learned something about the topic when you haven't, which represents LESS knowledge than at least knowing that you haven't learned anything useful.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Don't click the link if you are prone to motion sickness! I found the background most off-putting.
How can one possibly judge the aesthetics of something if it is not drawn to scale?
Finally, what relevance to your survey would be the opinion of someone who lives 4000 miles away?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I clicked the link, and found this survey it was very much junk. It is asking me to express an opinion on something that makes very little sense. Speaking from personal experience you are not going to get enough energy from sunlight to light the area at night very brightly for an extended period of time.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The streetlights in my city were converted to LED type a few years ago. Their poles are mounted near the curb. The lights shine downwards towards the street with some light on the sidewalk. Each light has a little antenna on top.
These lights are on 24 hours each day and are almost never turned off. When one does turn off it is always at night. I guess the receivers in them or the transmitter controllers do not work (made in China?).