Strange component Identification help

Alberto Ferreira

Joined Jan 2, 2018
Hello everybody, first, I want to wish everybody a happy new year and all of your wishes to come true this 2018. then I want to ask for help to identify a strange component, that looks like a plastic capacitor but does have 3 terminals without any readings between them in any scale of DMM. The component only have the letters S M marked. Please help.
Best regards, from Portugal,
AlbertoIMG_20180102_182945.jpg IMG_20180102_182852.jpg

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
Is there a potentiometer on the top that varies between S and M. Looks like something you can vary with a similar signage to a volume control?

Alberto Ferreira

Joined Jan 2, 2018
A properly focused picture would help. Is it the black rectangular box you are trying to identify?
Thanks for your message. Yes, it is, it looks like a plastic capacitor with 3 terminals, only have the letters S and M marked on top. I try to read something in Ohm, Diode and I got nothing between those terminals.

Alberto Ferreira

Joined Jan 2, 2018
Is there a potentiometer on the top that varies between S and M. Looks like something you can vary with a similar signage to a volume control?
Thanks for your message. Yes, it looks like that, but there's nothing to vary on the top, it looks like a hole, but it's closed...

Alberto Ferreira

Joined Jan 2, 2018
It could be, or could have been, a rechargeable battery pack.
Is it heavy, would it hurt if it landed on your bare toe?
Hello again, yes, it´s slightly heavy, I made a small hole on the top, and appears to be filled with some kind of cement... weights about the same of one AA alkaline battery...

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
3-Terminal Capacitor: A capacitor having a third terminal which connects to ground. A three terminal capacitor may be a through-hole with 3 leads or surface mount with 3 pads. Primarily 3-Terminal Capacitors are multilayer ceramic chip capacitors which are used in EMC / RFI Suppression conditions.

The structure of a 3-Terminal Capacitor appears almost as a Feedthrough Capacitor which is shown to the right.

T-Filter
A feed-through capacitor can be considered to be a kind of a 3-terminal capacitor. The difference between a Feedthrough Capacitor and a 3-Terminal Capacitor is the additional inductance in the ground lead [not shown]. However the two inductors that are shown represent lead inductance and not true inductors.

Found this on the net but would think some component values would be marked unless was a custom part.
Steve G

Alberto Ferreira

Joined Jan 2, 2018
3-Terminal Capacitor: A capacitor having a third terminal which connects to ground. A three terminal capacitor may be a through-hole with 3 leads or surface mount with 3 pads. Primarily 3-Terminal Capacitors are multilayer ceramic chip capacitors which are used in EMC / RFI Suppression conditions.

The structure of a 3-Terminal Capacitor appears almost as a Feedthrough Capacitor which is shown to the right.

T-Filter
A feed-through capacitor can be considered to be a kind of a 3-terminal capacitor. The difference between a Feedthrough Capacitor and a 3-Terminal Capacitor is the additional inductance in the ground lead [not shown]. However the two inductors that are shown represent lead inductance and not true inductors.

Found this on the net but would think some component values would be marked unless was a custom part.
Steve G

Thank you, thank you, it makes a lot of sense, since this component is located outside of a transformer line, and it's feeding a hi-power xenon strobe circuit. Once again, thank you very much.

Last edited: