Stopwatch IC: Can we use ic 4543bp to pause or reset a digital stopwatch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ally860

Joined Dec 26, 2015
hello. i am doing a digital stopwatch for an assignment. i am using ic 4510BD and ic 4543BP for my timer. But i am not being able to create a Pause nor Reset Function.. Can i create a pause and reset with these two ICs or shud i add another IC?? i can move further if only i can be sure that i am not losing time trying with these 2 ICs? my timer is working fine.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
hello. i am doing a digital stopwatch for an assignment. i am using ic 4510BD and ic 4543BP for my timer. But i am not being able to create a Pause nor Reset Function.. Can i create a pause and reset with these two ICs or shud i add another IC?? i can move further if only i can be sure that i am not losing time trying with these 2 ICs? my timer is working fine.

You need some type of pulse that makes the 4510 increment to the next number. Your pause button can simply be a switch that disconnects that train of pulses to the first 4510 chip in your cascade (you will need one 4510 chip for each digit you wish to display.

For reset, there is a reset pin. Connect the reset pins of all 4510 chips together and pull them high with a resistor to v+ rail. Then add a switch between the reset pins and ground. Pushing the button and making a connection to ground will reset all 4510 to zero.

Ally860

Joined Dec 26, 2015
You need some type of pulse that makes the 4510 increment to the next number. Your pause button can simply be a switch that disconnects that train of pulses to the first 4510 chip in your cascade (you will need one 4510 chip for each digit you wish to display.

For reset, there is a reset pin. Connect the reset pins of all 4510 chips together and pull them high with a resistor to v+ rail. Then add a switch between the reset pins and ground. Pushing the button and making a connection to ground will reset all 4510 to zero.
i am trying this..Thank you..yes each of my digit has 1 4510 chip!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

i am trying this..Thank you..yes each of my digit has 1 4510 chip!

Hold on, I mis-spoke on the reset issue (I got the polarity wrong from memory). Connect them all together as I said, connect a 1 k or 10 k resistor to the group and connect that resistor to GROUND! Then connect the switch between the bundle of resets and V+. It will reset when the reset pins are pulled high by the button press.

Ally860

Joined Dec 26, 2015
This is my work! i have tried the reset u told me, but unfortunately it is not working. This 'reset' which i have in my snippet, is actually only displaying zero on the frame meanwhile the timer is running in background. Could u explain to me how to do it? The pause also am not able to. Actually im a new starter in digital, trying to learn n do all by myself. This work need to completed by tomorrow.

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I have reduced your picture from 5.6 MB to less that 100 kB, by cutting away unneeded space and reducing the number of colors.

ally860_countertimer_reduced.png

Bertus

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
This is my work! i have tried the reset u told me, but unfortunately it is not working. This 'reset' which i have in my snippet, is actually only displaying zero on the frame meanwhile the timer is running in background. Could u explain to me how to do it? The pause also am not able to. Actually im a new starter in digital, trying to learn n do all by myself. This work need to completed by tomorrow.

1) what does U14 do? This chip rolls over by itself from 9 to 0 with carry-out. See datasheet.

2) where did you add the reset that I discussed above?
The universal reset must pull pin R (4510) high. Sine you already have AND gates on some of those Reset Pins, you will need OR gates so you can get the second and forth 4510 to reset whether the are rolling over from 6 to 0 OR from a universal reset.

3) where is the pause? How did you want that to work? Do you want to simply stop and then continue the counting ("stop/restart feature")? Or, do you want the 4510 to continue to accumulate seconds but pause the display (I.e "lap time feature")

Ally860

Joined Dec 26, 2015
actually this is the original of my work. then i made copies worked onto it for the PAUSE n RESET. i posted the original for you to understand the circuit and give me opinions/advice to guide me thru. Yes, it shud b able to pause and play, and also reset the timer to 00:00 then start it again. I tried to add a switch between the blue line from power supply(of transformer, rectifier) and the timer. but the timer continues though i open the switch, hence it does not reset nor pause. i am trying all trials i can. this is why i turned to AAC for help.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
@Ally860

Start by getting rid of the AND gates on the 4510 chips. Get it working just counting normally (1 to 9999). Then you can add the AND gates to get things to roll over as minutes:seconds.

There are bad connections on the AND gates and the Carry pin. Then we can adjust the reset and pause.

Ally860

Joined Dec 26, 2015
So Sir, i said as u asked. And i already knew the answer before. It went out of control. The AND gates is keeping the timer in control and the min:sec works well. The carry out 'CO' to clock helps the 4510 ics to interoperate and keep the track of time stay in order. So what is next?

Status
Not open for further replies.