stm32wb55 custom bluetooth service

zazas321

Joined Nov 29, 2015
Hey. I am learning about the STM32WB series microcontrollers and in particular the BLE. I have been reading about the structure of the bluetooth, services, charasteristics and UUID's. I have seen all STM32 workshops that teach about the bluetooth such as:

What I am concerned about, is when making a custom service and generate your custom UUID's how is this service going to be recognised on my phone app?

Most services and charasteristics are already predefined and when you use them you already are provided with the specific structure, like what data you need to use with that particular service and etc.

How does that work in case of custom service/charasteristics? How to get it to recognise on the phone app? Do I need to register it under the Bluetooth SIG and pay them to register my custom service?

zazas321

Joined Nov 29, 2015
To be more precise, for example when you upload one of the p2p example programs to the device and connect to it through bluetooth app, this screen comes up :
1609831509315.png

So they have a button press with time stamp and an big LED sign to toggle on/off LED. How do I create my own interface? For example instead of a big LED sign I want to use a different image or something like that? How is that being handled?

8dm7bz

Joined Jul 21, 2020
STMicroelectronics developed the app as a part of this series. The source code for that specific android app is located on their Github account.

If you want to develop your own app you would most likely need to get familiar with Android/IOS app development and then with the underlying bluetooth-le API of either Android or IOS.
I don't know about IOS, but with Androida here are a few helpful links: bluetooth reference manual and the general overview.

EDIT1: And also, STM even has an Android SDK for their bluetooth stuff.