STM32 Board for Quadcopter

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Hello

I'm currently looking at getting an STM32 board as a 'support' board for my autonomous quadcopter
that I'm building . This board will be responsible for all sorts of spacial orientation using Ultrasound mostly but I would also like it to read 640x480 video (or maybe even lower res) at at least 20 fps to perform very very simple image recognition. It would also perform other non computational intensive tasks.
The main brain of the Quad will be a Beaglebone black but I don't want to bother it with details as it's going to be running the main program.

There are many flavors and I cannot decide which one to get. I've heard that some of the STM32 have
camera interfaces or something like that on them .

Price is a factor . It should cost less than 20 Euros, preferably in the 12-15 euro range.
Also board size is a factor. The smaller the better (although I do have enough real estate).

Basically, for now I'm limited to the choice on this website because I'm ordering the beaglebone from there aswell.

Thanks in advance.

*Ps , I'm using an APM as the onboard driver.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I would imagine that if you are looking for some horse power for a quad copter then lightweight is high on the priority list. I would be looking at laying out your own PCB for optimum weight-feature performance.

The STM32F4DISCOVERY board along with IAR EWARM toolset is an excellent way to get started and to prototype your system. I have extensive experience using both and would be able to provide you with assistance along the way.

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Exellent ,
So I'm ordering the F4Discovery then . The toolset is just software that I'll have to DL right?
Actually weight isn't that much of an issue as I purposely built it with a > 3.5 Thrust to weight ration .. but Yes I will be eventually laying out my own PCB because I'm going to need a hard-wired 4-channel multiplexer and other hardware on it.