Stepper motor speed controller

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Micro-stepping by current controlled PWM.
While that is true, many times micro-stepping is used as a crutch. The better way of doing it most times is to use a timing belt or gears to get the step resolution needed. From your second link - "Microstepping is sometimes considered a good alternative to mechanical gearing because it does not introduce backlash into the system or reduce the system’s maximum speed. However, mechanical gearing multiplies the torque from the motor and increases its position-holding capability." A machine like a printer with no real load can get away with micro-stepping, but something with a real load is better off using gearing.

Sounds like if you are worried about OSHA/Safety you are working in an industrial environment where those kinds of hobby electronics should not be used for a lot of reasons :-(

Rlbooms

Joined Jan 22, 2021
Thanks. I had it right but just forgot to plug in my 24v lead to my driver....duhhhhh
so it works.....I will post picks in a few days after I get time to finish up the final build. I am waiting on some relays and limit switches for the final build.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Looks good! Glad I could have been a help. You are from the same back round as me, you aren't an electronics person but want something to work, and don't need a lot of bells and whistles on it. Thank you for coming back to show the success of the project.