state graph for a BCD to 6-3-1-1 converter problem

skjnoel2

Joined Feb 23, 2017
16977110_1310653095659482_569329413_n.jpg
hi
i'm designing a code converter for a BCD to 6-3-1-1 code and having a bit of trouble with the state graph, can anyone give me a starting point. i know you are not allowed to help me on my home work. but just need a little guidance on how to start.

below i have attached a copy of the state graph that i have already attempted just havent got a clue on how to start

thank you

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
i'm designing a code converter for a BCD to 6-3-1-1 code
Can you post the exact wording of the problem? I don't understand what 6-3-1-1 code means.

Are you required to draw a state diagram? For simple problems, they're not necessary.

EDIT: rotated and clipped image for convenience.

upload_2017-2-23_11-50-14.png

Last edited:

skjnoel2

Joined Feb 23, 2017
53.png
I've literally just been told to make a code converter, converting BCD code to 6-3-1-1
theses are the code data. i have done some research and can not find any thing regarding 6-3-1-1. if i could have a little guidance on how to design the state graph for converting BCD to 6-3-1-1 i would be really great full

thank you for your time

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Given that table, you don't need to know what the concept is behind 6-3-1-1 (or any of the others, for that matter).

The meaning is actually pretty evident, particularly if you compare it to the 8-4-2-1 code, but (again) it doesn't matter if you know that or not.

You really aren't giving us enough information to help you too much. Is this supposed to read one digit at a time? Is it supposed to output one digit at a time? Can this be a combinatorial circuit? Or does it need to be a sequential circuit? If sequential, does it read the four BCD bits starting from the back or starting from the front? Don't make us guess these things.

It looks like you are trying to draw a state-diagram for a Mealy machine (implied by the notation 0/1 in which, by convention, the first number is the value of the input and the second is the value of the output. But if you only know that the first bit in the BCD value is 0, is that enough information to know what the first bit in the 6-3-1-1 output needs to be.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
if i could have a little guidance on how to design the state graph for converting BCD to 6-3-1-1 i would be really great full
Are you required to draw a state diagram? No information about the previous state is required.

This is an example for a BCD to Gray converter I pulled from the WEB for some test:
upload_2017-2-23_13-46-29.png

Last edited:

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
View attachment 121175
hi
i'm designing a code converter for a BCD to 6-3-1-1 code and having a bit of trouble with the state graph, can anyone give me a starting point. i know you are not allowed to help me on my home work. but just need a little guidance on how to start.

below i have attached a copy of the state graph that i have already attempted just havent got a clue on how to start

thank you
Have you considered something as simple as a PROM or PLA?