Starting torque of a motor

electronicsLearner77

Joined May 26, 2012
I know that there is a starting torque and a normal torque. The starting torque is let us say 20Nm.
Q1. It means i cannot load the motor which requires more than 20Nm ? Am i correct ? Please advise.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Maximum Torque on most motors occurs at zero rpm.
Motors such as industrial servo motors, publish a torque curve rating for the motor, where there is continuous torque and peak torque, which in the case of peak torque is the area where maximum current (torque) is only allowed for a very short period without the danger of destroying the motor.
Max.

electronicsLearner77

Joined May 26, 2012
What i came to know from friends is that the starting torque is the torque which will try to overcome the friction of the rotor.
Q1. Is it correct ?
Q2. If it is correct will it be so high, the motor friction ?

electronicsLearner77

Joined May 26, 2012
Thank you for your patience. But i have one more doubt. So if the starting torque of the motor is 20Nm, then before the motor is powered on i connect a load let us say 30Nm. So my motor should be capable of 50Nm. But it is capable of 20Nm. So does it mean starting torque is different from the peak torque you mentioned ? Please advise.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The starting torque rating of the motor applies to the minimum current required to enable the motor to start revolving, this is different from the Capable torque or max Torque rating for the motor, which applies to the maxim current that can be used to operate the motor under load.
This is often stated in HP or In-Lb's, N-M etc.
Max.