Starting point

Jfarr

Joined Sep 1, 2018
Hi all,

I work as a system developer - java, c# etc, but never touched on electronics programming. If I want to build an electronic device that can be set to move regularly in a specific way where would I start please?

The controlling component would need to be extremely small and powered by small disc batteries or have a rechargeable power component

Thanks in advance

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi J,
Welcome to AAC.
Do you have sketch or diagram of the project you could post.?
It would make it easier for us to help.
E

Jfarr

Joined Sep 1, 2018
Thanks for prompt response E.

I don’t have a schematic as yet as it’s still an early project. Sorry. I will try and sketch something up.

It’s my first venture into this sort of thing but can just say what I am thinking of would be a small device which would constantly open an close at a gentle speed when switched on!!

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
OK, I know what you mean, we have all been there.
As you know a draft specification from you will get you more specific replies.
ie: define gentle speed.???
E

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A place to start is to design the mechanics or come up with a concept and measure or estimate the amount of power required to move any mechanism in order to spec in any actuator/motor.
Max.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Certainly you will need to know how much power the motor will require, and then when you have selected a motor that has adequate torque at the speed you want you will know the required voltage and current. At that point probably you will find that those small disk batteries will not last very long. The circuit to drive in alternate directions without wasting power will be a bit complicated. What sort of device are you hoping to produce? Ther may be another way to do it without reversing the motor..