StarSet interface circuit

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I have a couple of different headsets for my cell phone, and they are OK. However, I miss my original StarSet from the 70's. I have more than enough horsepower and parts to whip up an interface circuit, but I'm lacking information.

Does anyone have the signals/interface specs for this? The connector is two 1/4" mono phone plugs (but I assume they are the weird telco version). The beltclip box has an unmarked 14-pin DIP.

Thanks.

ak

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
You'll want to bin everything in the belt pack. It's purpose was to turn the more modern elements in the headset to the electrical equivalents of the carbon elements in the phone system.

I think the StarSet uses an electret and it probably derives the bias from the phone instrument so you'll have to supply that. I expect you know how to do that. I don't think you care about the existing electronics at all, since it is irrelevant to your intended use. I have a more modern version and it is easily adapted to the TRRS connection completely obviating the telephone instrument interface box.

By the way, these guys sell spare parts: https://www.headsetexperts.com/plantronics_starset_headset_parts_s/90.htm