standoff type of header for double sided pcb

jrdarrah

Joined Aug 29, 2016
I'm working on my first double sided PCB. I was successful in making the board using toner transfer and dynamask film as a solder mask. I got all the holes drilled with only a few bits broken. Now that I've mounted the smt components I need to attach a 0.100 female header to mate to a Teensy 3.2 processor board. My problem is that since this is DYI at this point, the holes aren't plated through. On several of the header pins I need to solder a pad underneath the header. The headers I have lying about sit right on the board when the pins stick out the bottom so I can solder the bottom pads. What I need is a stand off type of 0.100 female headers that will allow me to get good access to both the top and bottom pads. Any suggestions, or is there another way to solve my problem of needing to solder the leads on the top and bottom of the board. Right now I have plenty of space for extra header height. Thanks for helping me move this project along to completion.

jrdarrah

Joined Aug 29, 2016
thanks. Since this is my first board I used it to learn on. It is only about 1.5in x 2in so I took your advice and added a via and will make another one. The rest of the pins connect to another pad to allow me to add wire connections. I "fixed" those by adding another trace to each one so that there is one on both top and bottom. My via will be the pads and hole I solder the wires to. Since I have good access at that part of the board, I'll make sure to solder the wire on both the top and bottom pads.