Standalone Slot machine wheel

cmjb13

Joined Mar 18, 2015
Hi,

I was able to acquire a Price is Right wheel from the 2001 IGT slot machine.

As it stands, configuration is as follows

K179 Stepper driver
VLT130 AC/DC power supply
TDK-Lambda DSP30-12
Plus 1 item I cannot identify

Pic here:

http://home.comcast.net/~cmjb13/controller7.jpg

Through an electronics friend who set this up, I have power and lights and the unit spins. However, I noticed that when I increase the stepping speed on VR1 on the K179, the spinning stops and just freezes. I originally wanted this unit to spin fast and then slow down and stop on a random number.

Do I need to use a stepper driver that is more powerful to get the wheel spinning faster? In the original slot machine, it spins very fast, though I do not have access to any of the original slot machine schematics.

As part of this project, I purchased an A4988 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier, but was not used.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Attachments

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
if the stepper is turned faster than it is being stepped by the circuit, it might stop or speed up.stepper motors try to stay in phase with the drive.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Steppers run out of torque as rpm increases (inductive reactance increases) , this can be overcome in a couple of ways, but both ways involve a higher voltage supply.
Max.

cmjb13

Joined Mar 18, 2015
Steppers run out of torque as rpm increases (inductive reactance increases) , this can be overcome in a couple of ways, but both ways involve a higher voltage supply.
Max.
Thank you for that information.

Would you be able to recommend one that is bigger than what I currently have?

Assuming I get a bigger voltage supply and it spins faster, is there any way to slow it down and stop on a random number?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I am not sure of the K179 stepper drive you have, normally they use a step and direction signal, the step is a series of variable frequency square waves that can be made from a 555 etc, the other Dir is just either a 1 or 0 (hi or lo).
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you look at the PDF, the PWR terminals are marked VDC- & VDC+ from whatever DC supply they/you are using.
And does the motor have a spec's label?
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Looking at the manual it appears it comes with a CD to run a config program on a PC, but all the aspects of the systems has to be known, motor/pwr supply etc.
You may be able to get the pgm from automationdirect/.
I assume you are running it in analogue mode with a pot rather than step/dir.
It could also be a question of incompatibility between drive and motor?
Max.