Standalone JTAG AVR programmers?

DJ_AA

Joined Aug 6, 2021
Hi

Is there any standalone programer with JTAG for Microchips/Atmel's AVR/XMEGA range of microcontrollers?

The aim is to take the device to a site without a laptop.

I wonder if there is a method to program via the USB of a mobile phone or a tablet?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hi

Is there any standalone programer with JTAG for Microchips/Atmel's AVR/XMEGA range of microcontrollers?

The aim is to take the device to a site without a laptop.

I wonder if there is a method to program via the USB of a mobile phone or a tablet?
You can build your own. Atmel AVR MCUs are programmed via an SPI interface.
I built my own programmer using an ATtiny2313 to go from RS-232 to SPI.

DJ_AA

Joined Aug 6, 2021
Yes, i am looking for something that I can carry in pocket.

I was thinking, why there is nothing which can be plugged into mobile phone or a tablet?

But must be able work on JTAG port rather then ISP.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Yes, i am looking for something that I can carry in pocket.

I was thinking, why there is nothing which can be plugged into mobile phone or a tablet?

But must be able work on JTAG port rather then ISP.
The partial answer to your "why is there nothing" question is because mobile phones and tablets are not commonly used in the software development process for reasons that appear manifestly obvious, to me at least.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Exactly.
So if you want to update the firmware of an MCU in the field you need to bring and have access to the firmware file.
How would I do that?
Presuming that the update was created on a PC platform, I would save it to a micro SD memory card.
Then I would carry around a small portable battery operated MCU with a micro SD card slot and program the target AVR chip via SPI.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Can you imagine how much fun we used to have before laptops? To work on a Programmable Ladder Logic Controller, I had to drag a full personal computer to the operating area with its heavy CRT monitor. Plus, since most of the operations areas were electrically classified hazardous areas, so I also jumped through all the hoops of obtaining a safety department inspection and permit.

DJ_AA

Joined Aug 6, 2021
Ok, so i need to develop it, i guess if the uC has usb i could create something that uses a usb memory stick