SSR Control Side Q

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
i have Omron SSR
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/307/g3na_ds_csm165-47293.pdf

the voltage supply for the control side of this SSR reads 33Vdc, and seems to be nothing more than a 24Vac xfmer feeding full bridge and then filtered by a 220uF cap, no regs to be found, but i did see what appears to be a zener (probably to protect against spikes).

i have a 100ohm in series with the SSR control +, and a 10k pulldown.

given the spec sheet, you think 33Vdc will kill the SSR? the spec sheet has a "rated 5-24vdc" spec, and also a "operating voltage 4-32Vdc" spec, and a "impedance" of 7mA.

at 7mA the voltage will be 32.3Vdc. most things die because of excess current, so do you see an issue with 33Vdc with 100ohm to the control + of this SSR?

i have a related post here
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/hvac-issue-with-relays.109306/page-3#post-843725

my setup looks like this

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
Why not use a zener in place of R7 R6, the input has a wide range anyway.
Max.
i wasnt thinking the Vdc would be this high given the std relay coils are rated 22V and 24V, stupid board is, well, designed badly.

i chose 100ohm just as a limiting resistor, and the 10k to pull the + to - when the SSR goes to off state.

if the SSR can handle 5-24Vdc w/o any input limiting, will it hurt SSR to have 33Vdc and 100ohm ?

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
update,
i swapped out the 100ohm for 1.5k, all seems to work fine.

so, swapped out the relays, did some board modifications per the schematic i posted, and voila, AC feels good :)

now, next Q is, the motor Hi speed wire is all gummed up and i cannot solder it, nor will it make a good crimp. i suspect its gummed up from running hot since its only 18awg running a 14A motor. i even cut it back 1" and its still gummy there. how to get the gunk off the copper so i can solder it? perhaps some lacquer thinner? any recommendations?

Last edited:

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
How difficult would it be to replace the wire completely?
very. its a wire that terminates inside the motor housing, which is buried inside the hvac unit and not easy to get to.

found some posts, vinegar/salt solution to swish the copper in should clean it, followed by a baking soda solution to neutralize the acid wash, then clean water as a rinse

Last edited: