Spray painting PCBs after holes are drilled?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Has anyone tried to spray paint the non copper side of a PCB after holes are drilled? But I just tried doing it again and the paint just blocked up all of the holes. I thought I blew them out pretty good but guess I did not do a good enough job and was left with a mess. Fortunately, it looks like some acetone is coming to the rescue.

I am using high temp paint but didn't cure it in an oven. That was my first mistake as the toner transfer just smeared.

I have painted before but that was after etching and before drilling.

I am now using a CNC machine to do my drilling. I have put milling on the shelf for now as I am getting mixed results. Waiting on different bits to see if that solves my problem but my guess is it is the cheap Chinese machine. Not enough RPM. It seems to do smaller boards OK but has a problem on larger boards with longer runs. And it could be I am not adjusting for the thicknesses. In copper.

Anyway if I did milling, I could paint first. Drill then mill.

But I am etching. I drill first. I then print on wax paper and align the toner with the holes then do the toner transfer thing.

My guess is if I painted before etching the muriatic acid would eat through the paint even if it is cured.

Maybe paint after I am all done but give the board a couple of sharp raps while the pait is still dry?

Anyone have any other ideas?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My guess is if I painted before etching the muriatic acid would eat through the paint even if it is cured.
That's the only thing I can comment on: There are certainly paints that would survive HCl. If I had to guess, it'd be that most – maybe not all – paints would survive.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
That's the only thing I can comment on: There are certainly paints that would survive HCl. If I had to guess, it'd be that most – maybe not all – paints would survive.
Wouldn't most paints be more resistant than say, sharpie marker, that is used to touch up toner?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Yes, I discovered very early that washing soda (sodium carbonate) was a quite effective paint stripper. I had to repaint the window sill - oops!
When I was a kid my parents had an antique shop. I spent many hours using washing soda mixed with green soap in hot water, to remove layers of old paint off of antique furniture. Really hard on the hands too. But it was cheaper than paint stripper and they had child labor.