Splitting 16v 2a into two 5v channels.

avender

Joined Jan 10, 2019
First off, im a newb, and it probably shows anyways, but.

I have a 16v 2a power supply, I have 2 motors that I want to operate on separate circuits @ 5v each, I was going to use 2 usb connections for power, but thought this might be more fun. Is there a way to convert the voltage and split it over 2 different circuits?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi aven,
Welcome to AAC.
I would suggest a step down SMPS, say from 16V to 5Vdc at 2A and use the same 5V for both circuits.
E

avender

Joined Jan 10, 2019
So like a computer power supply. Thanks for your reply. definitely a good solution. Though, I guess my real question is how can I split the power from my supply into two isolated circuits. A parallel connection disrupts the function of my circuits.

rsjsouza

Joined Apr 21, 2014
You could try a dual Buck converter such as the TPS542951, which may give you just enough isolation between the two rails.
That or use two Buck converters in separate such as the LM2575, for example.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I guess my real question is how can I split the power from my supply into two isolated circuits. A parallel connection disrupts the function of my circuits.
You can't do this without converting DC to AC and using transformers.

What is it about a parallel connection that disrupts your circuits?

avender

Joined Jan 10, 2019
Each circuit is an astable multivibrator connected to a motor. I have power fluctuations when changing the number of "on" circuits. Also, the multivibrators seem to work fine but the motors do not engage.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Each circuit is an astable multivibrator connected to a motor. I have power fluctuations when changing the number of "on" circuits. Also, the multivibrators seem to work fine but the motors do not engage.
I'd look for noise or droop on the power supply and address that.