Spectrum alalyzer and debugging wireless communication

sairfan1

Joined May 24, 2012
Before asking question a little background first, while learning about electronics I came across usage of Logic Analyzer and Oscilloscope. I bought Siglent 1104X-E with LA1016 and also bought DSLogic, I found it realy helpful to understand what was really going on with the communication and it greatly helped me to save my time and find/fix the problem. With this experience and expectation I am looking forward to buy a Spectrum Analyzer, as I'm hobbyist and I hardly get time on the weekends to work on electronics I want to reduce my troubleshooting time to become more productive. I will be mostly using it for debugging 433Mhz, 915Mhz, 2.4Ghz signals.

I belive by using Spectrum Analyzer I will able to understand if device really emit signals at desired requency, I also expect that I will demodulate the signal and will able to show me what data was transmitted like Hello Wordl. (not sure if a spectrum analyzer around $2000 worth can do it)

I want to know if my expections from a Sepectrum Analyzer are correct? what else options (tools) are there to debug this kind of applications, what else should i consider for such need.s

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
RF spectrum analyzers don't come cheap. Before laying out the cash for a spectrum analyzer you should have a look at SDR (software defined radio), for example, Nooelec RTL-SDR.

sairfan1

Joined May 24, 2012
I came across HackRF but I did not understand if they could be used as spectrum analyzer or demodulate the signal to show actual data transmitted.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE:"" to understand what was really going on with the communication ""
You need only one thingy, that is RF-Hack-v001 RTL-SDR with Zadiq installation bundle and bunch of decoder installations at laptop.