SPDIF to USB audio (s/pdif)

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I have digital recorders what outputs SPDIF, not optical but the same format. I want to bring the audio into a PC using USB.
I can find converters for USB to SPDIF, and USB to analog or analog to USB.
I can find one box that converts SPDIF to optical, then add another box that converts optical to USB.
The recorders are " Fostex VF08". The input & output are 75 ohm coax digital stereo.
The old DAT recorders also use this format and have the same problem.
Thanks RonS.
1673811995887.png

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
A bunch of the Burr-Brown/TI USB codec chips include S/PDIF I/O, but finding boxes that bother to implement input is another story. There's the ART USB Phono Plus which looks just about perfect.
A cheaper option is the ADS Tech RDX-150 Instant Music; it's pretty close to a copy of a B-B reference design and has both line and Toslink I/O; there's a bunch on ebay, but I've found them them at thrift stores for as little as $4.

Alternatively, if you have a computer with expansion slots (PCI, PCI-E), various Soundblaster cards included S/PDIF inputs on an expansion header. I've added Toslink input to an Audigy 2 ZS with just a cable and Toslink receiver. Some deluxe cards shipped with a "Live Drive" module that mounts in a drive bay or externally and makes use of that expansion header; I scored one of those for my Audigy at a computer recycler. Given that old but still capable computers are basically free these days, if you can afford the desk space, consider setting up an older dual-core system for A/V capture and editing.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I may get a RDX150 and remove the Toslink optical IO parts.
I can find optical "light pipe" SPDIF to USB boxes but I need coax to USB. The PCM2906 can directly drive a coax 75 ohm cable or drive a Toslink fiber optic transceiver.

This project just got kicked down the road a month, but I need to do something soon.
Thanks for the help.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I just found Fosi Audio Q3 and Q4. Thanks, bassbindevil I found it on ebay.
I can't see any difference between Q3 & Q4. (delta $10.00)
It has the COAXIAL in and USB so I think it will work.
1674082225150.png

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I just found Fosi Audio Q3 and Q4. Thanks, bassbindevil I found it on ebay.
I can't see any difference between Q3 & Q4. (delta $10.00)
It has the COAXIAL in and USB so I think it will work.
I found it on Amazon also, but unfortunately the USB is apparently only an input. :(

1674083854835.png

You might look at this.
You may have to convert from digital audio to optical TOSLINK, and then to USB.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I now have a "Edirol UA1D SPDIF Digital Audio to USB". It is old but works.
1677338629043.png
If you want something new and better. Look at " Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 ". It includes mic preamps, line in and out, headphone jacks and more. Get versios -2 or -3 but not -1.
1677338746927.png