SpaceX - Static Fire Anomaly

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
My memory is not as good as it once was, but it seems to me this is the first major launch mishap SpaceX has had since the first 3 launches of the Falcon 1, which all failed for one cause or another. Were there any others since then, up til now?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
My memory is not as good as it once was, but it seems to me this is the first major launch mishap SpaceX has had since the first 3 launches of the Falcon 1, which all failed for one cause or another. Were there any others since then, up til now?
They lost (mid-air) a 9 last year loaded with Space Station cargo.
Bill Ostrove, an aerospace and defense analyst at Forecast International, said SpaceX's reliability with the Falcon 9 is 93%, which is "right in the ballpark" of the industry average of 95%.

Rockets are a risky business.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/rockets/news/a22674/who-pays-for-spacexs-spaceport-calamity/
Let's start with Thursday's explosion. The fact that it happened on the ground may make insurance a little dicey, as Space News editor Peter de Selding sagely pointed out:

Follow
Peter B. de Selding @pbdes

SpaceX explosion didnt involve intentional ignition - E Musk said occurred during 2d stage fueling - & isn't covered by launch insurance.

Spacecom insured Amos-6 for $285M in marine cargo market, not space insurance market. Launch +1 yr policy would kick in at rocket ignition.
11:08 AM - 1 Sep 2016
Ouch...

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/01/when-a-rocket-blows-up-space-insurers-pay-for-it.html

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
AV sync version

It looks like the capsule was hanging in space on the top of the clamp before launch top tower bent over.

CnmLA8zW8AAaONn.jpg-large.jpg

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Kids playing in space. Arent they cute with their little rockets? Gotta laugh :)

Isnt that the rocket that is supposed to be able to take someone anywhere in the world within one hour travel time? Maybe it's a different one, but maybe they dont ever get there or anywhere else either.

The only good idea i have heard lately with any space program is the idea to build a station on the moon. That would be a good platform for testing how good we are at going other places, as well as provide for a lift off for future deep space travel. I hear a song in the background, "If you can make it there you can make it anywhere".

Of course that would also mean they could take some Amazon women up there too and lend some credence to the movie :)

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The only good idea i have heard lately with any space program is the idea to build a station on the moon. That would be a good platform for testing how good we are at going other places, as well as provide for a lift off for future deep space travel. I hear a song in the background, "If you can make it there you can make it anywhere".

Of course that would also mean they could take some Amazon women up there too and lend some credence to the movie :)
He's got a "Moon Base Alpha" in the plans.

Lets hope we watched the old UFO series for staffing. Much better than Amazon women.