Sourcing surface mount high current connector

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
Hi All
I'm having a dilemna at the moment, I have designned a battery balancing circuit and need connector for this that are rated at 10A max per contact perivously I used a SAMTEC IPBT connector which met my requirement the only problem was the height with the connector and the mating half had a height that was a lot greater than the height of the mechanical enclosure this PCB is going into. Can anyone please help me with this. The connector needs to be specifically surface mount, and needs to come to height of 20mm with mating half included (goes to cables). I was thinking even right angled connectors would be suitable.

Kind Regards

Art

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi All
I'm having a dilemna at the moment, I have designned a battery balancing circuit and need connector for this that are rated at 10A max per contact perivously I used a SAMTEC IPBT connector which met my requirement the only problem was the height with the connector and the mating half had a height that was a lot greater than the height of the mechanical enclosure this PCB is going into. Can anyone please help me with this. The connector needs to be specifically surface mount, and needs to come to height of 20mm with mating half included (goes to cables). I was thinking even right angled connectors would be suitable.

Kind Regards

Art
Do you mean "PCB mount" or do you have a strong affection for surface mount?

I would recommend these for high current application. The top screws can handle 12gauge wires. 15A and 20A styles are available.

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016

I would recommend these for high current application. The top screws can handle 12gauge wires. 15A and 20A styles are available.

Yeah unforuntaley surface mount as I am using a IMS PCB

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016

I do appreciate the suggestion though if you had any other ideas they are warmly welcome

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Please provide more specifications..
Board to board connectors?
Wire to board connector?
you mentioned cables? What AWG?
number of terminals?
polarized?
Locking features?
mechanical securement needed?
blind mate?
number of cycles?
,etc...

the more info you post the better the answer will be..

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
Please provide more specifications..
Board to board connectors?
Wire to board connector?
you mentioned cables? What AWG?
number of terminals?
polarized?
Locking features?
mechanical securement needed?
blind mate?
number of cycles?
,etc...

the more info you post the better the answer will be..
1) it's a Wire to board connector
2) 20 AWG
3) 4 terminals
4) Doesn't need to be polarized
5) Not really bothered about Locking features
6) Same as above mechanical securement isn't a big issuse.

The main properites are 4 way, 10A current per contact and surface mountable because it's on an IMS PCB and finally height of connector and mate must be 20mm or less

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
So wire to board..
Is that ribbon cable?
or discrete IDC? Crimp? Screw down terminals (as shown in post#2)? barrier strips/ring terminals?
I'll assume you need the wires to exit parallel to the PCB surface right?

Maybe something like TE MTA-156 series? I think thats just above the 20mm though..

Have you gone through the searches at digikey? mouser? newark?

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
So wire to board..
Is that ribbon cable?
or discrete IDC? Crimp? Screw down terminals (as shown in post#2)? barrier strips/ring terminals?

Maybe something like TE MTA-156 series? I think thats just above the 20mm though..

I have tried digikey, mouser and newark (farnell), they can exist parallel or perpendicular as long as the height, I think height the absoulate max was 24 mm

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
So wire to board..
Is that ribbon cable?

can you post a link to the that TE product please

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I guess the MTA156 does not come in a surface mount version..
I use tons of the MTA100 and they do so I just assumed..

Any reason you can't use through hole for those connectors?
Mixed assembly (SMT+TH) is done all the time now..
I personally would be worried about 10+Amps through a surface mount connector only without some sort of mechanical attachment also..

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
I guess the MTA156 does not come in a surface mount version..
I use tons of the MTA100 and they do so I just assumed..

Any reason you can't use through hole for those connectors?
Mixed assembly (SMT+TH) is done all the time now..
I personally would be worried about 10+Amps through a surface mount connector only without some sort of mechanical attachment also..
Because this is for an IMS board, I have used SAMTEC IPBT connectors before but it caused the height problem in the past

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
Thanks all, I decided to change my design and reduce the current down to 5A the following is the connector I ended up using: Samtecs: IPL1-104-02-F-SH-K thanks all for the assistance