Somewhat Interesting Non Planar Mesh-Like Analysis

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello there,

I do want to warn that this is only somewhat interesting at the moment.

When looking at a non planar network and trying to apply Mesh Analysis directly, the solution does not come out correct as expected. That is of course because mesh analysis is known to not work on non planar networks.

Given that and trying it anyway, a somewhat interesting result is obtained. In the attached circuit all the values are given for the test and the first line of values are the correct values using Nodal, and the second line is the set of values that are incorrect using Mesh directly.

What is a little interesting is that the Mesh analysis solutions for the three nodes (after apply the currents obtained from mesh) is that the solutions are equal to the same network but with R9 removed completely from the circuit. So using Nodal on the network with R9 removed yields the same results as Mesh but not removing R9. So it's like Mesh totally ignores R9 even though it is included in the equations.

Like i said, it's only a little interesting and not sure if anyone else wants to try this.
I ended up looking at this because i was doing something else and remembered that i did a circuit a long time ago using Mesh and the circuit was non planar but the analysis gave the same results as Nodal, so i thought i would briefly look for a correlation. Not sure how much more time i want to spend on this though but decided to post in case anyone else was interested in this.

Non planar networks of any use are usually a little more complicated because we have to set it up so that we can eventually force it to be non planar, so it takes more components to test. This of course makes playing around with it take more time than the usual simpler circuits.

Note:
The tilde is used to represent a non connecting jumper in the attached schematic.
That is, the vertical line continues down and the horizontal line continues across but they do not connect to each other.

Attachments