Some problem of my stepper motor driver

nobykendko

Joined Nov 17, 2022
I am looking for a VERY TURNKEY stepper motor driver. This is the single motor I need to drive.

https://www.oyostepper.com/goods-11...eg-5Ncm-708ozin-05A-85V-Φ36x12mm-4-Wires.html

We have an evaluation kit for a ST L6470 chip and software where supposedly you simply enter the motor parameters (resistance, inductance, etc) and it supposedly spits out to the eval board all of the necessary parameter for the registers. Their driver is very highly integrated, but I cannot seem to get it to work and there seems to be a lot more to it than they are saying. I am not getting the support in the US that I feel they should have and my project is falling behind.

I am not a stepper motor expert and really don't have the time to become one. Our focus on the project is a micro controller that talks via bluetooth to and app and then sends out commands (preferably over SPI) to the motor driver. Does TI have a solution for driving a motor like this and make it VERY TURNKEY for me to work with the evaluation board and then the final design to be embedded with our micro? Also, is there an engineer and TI that I can work with to help guide me through this development?

Thanks,

Oscar

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

You say the board you have "doesn't work" but you don't describe what you have tried and what result you get. You seem ready to abandon your current solution but maybe you should give it a try with some help.

A link to the board and its datasheet, a schematic of how you've wired it, and a description of what you have tried and what does and doesn't happen would let us attempt to help you make it work,

It is impossible that TI is selling an eval board that doesn't work. Support may be bad, but they wouldn't have it on offer if it couldn't be made to work. It's worth a try to get it going before abandoning it.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It may be obvious, but I see no mention of any power supply, and the reality is that most evaluation boards require an external power supply.
In addition, many of the folks here are unable to read what is in other folks minds, and very often that is where the additional required information is hiding.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am looking for a VERY TURNKEY stepper motor driver. This is the single motor I need to drive.

https://www.oyostepper.com/goods-11-Round-Nema-14-Stepper-Motor-Bipolar-09-deg-5Ncm-708ozin-05A-85V-Φ36x12mm-4-Wires.html

We have an evaluation kit for a ST L6470 chip and software where supposedly you simply enter the motor parameters (resistance, inductance, etc) and it supposedly spits out to the eval board all of the necessary parameter for the registers. Their driver is very highly integrated, but I cannot seem to get it to work and there seems to be a lot more to it than they are saying. I am not getting the support in the US that I feel they should have and my project is falling behind.

I am not a stepper motor expert and really don't have the time to become one. Our focus on the project is a micro controller that talks via bluetooth to and app and then sends out commands (preferably over SPI) to the motor driver. Does TI have a solution for driving a motor like this and make it VERY TURNKEY for me to work with the evaluation board and then the final design to be embedded with our micro? Also, is there an engineer and TI that I can work with to help guide me through this development?

Thanks,

Oscar
I think you need to ask TI about the availability of an engineer to help you. We certainly cannot help you with that request. If there is an engineer that can help, you ought to be willing to compensate them for their time. That is usually the way these things work.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
An evaluation board is not the best choice for an individual without much understanding of the related technology.
There are other suppliers of stepper driver products that do sell connect and operate hardware. You will not find them on cartoon sites like you tube or amazon, though.
And YES, I am disparaging those sites.

sarahMCML

Joined May 11, 2019
I think you need to ask TI about the availability of an engineer to help you. We certainly cannot help you with that request. If there is an engineer that can help, you ought to be willing to compensate them for their time. That is usually the way these things work.
The L6470 Evaluation kit is a ST Microelectronics product. He should be talking to them about it.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Oriental Motors company was one supplier that sold both motors and driver modules that were intended for actual use rather than development research projects. But they did seriously require adding an external resistor and capacitor. But they were ready to connect and run just by following the simple instructions.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The L6470 Evaluation kit is a ST Microelectronics product. He should be talking to them about it.
Yes, that is true, but that was hardly the point of my post. ST Micro or TI is the same proposition. If you have a project with a critical schedule that you need to meet, you should not depend on the makers of the tools you want to use for free engineering. You find and pay for the talent that you need before the need becomes critical.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
"Plug and Play" stepper driver modules are available that do not require any insight beyond being able to connect them correctly. No "engineering" required. The development board might be less money, but the MBA degree will not provide the skills required to make it drive the stepper motor.
Actual stepper drivers are available from many of the actual electronic component suppliers, such as Digikey, Newark, Avnet.
Amazon is a waste ot time, and no more value than last years Bus Schedule.
In addition, a development board is far from "plug and play", it is for engineers to work towards developing some new idea.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I am not a stepper motor expert and really don't have the time to become one. Also, is there an engineer and TI that I can work with to help guide me through this development?
Check out and contact Gecko drives, they have good support and an engineering dept that helps with your application, they generally deal with drives for larger motor, but can offer advice.
They design and manuf. their own
Also there is a on-line help section for often asked questions.