Solution for connecting PIC test board to PC

xixorro

Joined Jun 6, 2012
Hi all. I just registered because I need some help.

I have a school project i witch i have to use a PIC16F874A to comunicate with a GSM module via RS232. In order to test the code I connect the pic to the serial port in the PC and use a terminal. The problem is that I do not have a serial port at home and don't feel like buying one.

Today I just remembered about a TI msp430 launchpad that I have and never used. It has usb communication.

I tough it it might be possible to use the msp430 as "bridge" for the PIC, like, I connect the TX and the RX to some msp ports and it just passes the data to the PC. And in the other way too.

Is is doable? I fairly knew to Micro controllers.

thanks in advance to all of you

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
It might be possible, but it won't behave like a serial port so you wont be able to use any standard terminal software.
Check ebay, I picked up a USB to serial cable for about £3 ($5).
<ed> If you happen to have a PICKIT2 apparently you can use it as a serial analyser with the PICKIT2 software. I haven't tried it.</ed>

Last edited:

xixorro

Joined Jun 6, 2012
It might be possible, but it won't behave like a serial port so you wont be able to use any standard terminal software.
Check ebay, I picked up a USB to serial cable for about £3 ($5).
<ed> If you happen to have a PICKIT2 apparently you can use it as a serial analyser with the PICKIT2 software. I haven't tried it.</ed>
And does that cable work well? I close to order one but a teacher told those Chinese adapter were no to be trusted. maybe i will try. Thanks

MMcLaren

Joined Feb 14, 2010
Just thought I'd mention that the built-in USB port on the MSP430 Launchpad board does come up as a com port on the PC and you can use terminal emulation software.

Last edited: