Solid state video signal switch

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
I need a solid state equivalent to a DPDT relay that can be used to switch analog video signals, can anyone suggest something?

My current solution works, but I need to make it solid state if possible. I have 2 analog video cameras and 1 video transmitter. I'm currently using a small DPDT relay to select which camera is connected to the transmitter. It switches while the cameras and transmitter are powered up. Does anyone know if a regular solid state relay work with signals as small as an analog video signal without degrading the signal?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I need a solid state equivalent to a DPDT relay that can be used to switch analog video signals, can anyone suggest something?

My current solution works, but I need to make it solid state if possible. I have 2 analog video cameras and 1 video transmitter. I'm currently using a small DPDT relay to select which camera is connected to the transmitter. It switches while the cameras and transmitter are powered up. Does anyone know if a regular solid state relay work with signals as small as an analog video signal without degrading the signal?
You will be much better off with an analog video switch. They are normally quad switches on one chip and each switch is spst but you can put two together to switch off of the same signal to make your desired two into one switch (essentially a multiplexer).

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012

There are various commercial equipment parts for switching video behind the SCART socket(s) on TV sets.

Likely to have TDA or TEA prefixes, but I can't offhand remember any numbers.

If you search on; datasheet.pl the chip you want will almost certainly be there - but you'll have to trawl through the part numbers to find it.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Thank you very much everyone, I didn't realize there was a dedicated video switching IC. I guess I should have known! I'll grab some of these from digikey and give them a whril.

vwlowen

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Thank you very much everyone, I didn't realize there was a dedicated video switching IC. I guess I should have known! I'll grab some of these from digikey and give them a whril.
I made a couple of simple video switches a few years ago which may give you some ideas:

http://vwlowen.co.uk/radio/videoswitch2/index.htm

http://vwlowen.co.uk/radio/videoswitch3/index.htm

If you want to switch the sound as well, it may be easier to stick with your mechanical relays.

John