Soldering iron

Berzin

Joined Dec 17, 2020
Hi guys
Actually I am in a big delima as I am planning to solder my pcb design parts with the pcb with a soldering iron and a 12 volt battery (car battery) and we all know that that a soldering iron will drink electricity like hell to get hot and I don't want my electric bill to go very high so that's why I was thinking that can i attach the soldering iron directly to the battery by alligator clips to the soldering iron so my question is will the soldering iron will work or get hot and secondly am I going to damage any thing this way

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You are more likely to do more harm than good.
Who told you that a soldering iron takes a lot of electricity lied to you.
A soldering iron takes less electricity that what it takes to light your room.

Berzin

Joined Dec 17, 2020
You are more likely to do more harm than good.
Who told you that a soldering iron takes a lot of electricity lied to you.
A soldering iron takes less electricity that what it takes to light your room.
Oh so I can do this way which is that I will put it on the invertor which is powered by battery 12 volts

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Might want to look at one of these. Very similar to the one I keep in my toolbox. Great when you need to do work outside.
1611644437921.png

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
How are you going to charge the car battery?
It will cost you more to charge the battery from your house mains than if you power the soldering iron directly from the house mains. There is no free lunch unless you use a solar charger. And then you will have to spend a lot more to buy a solar panel than the cost of electricity for many many years.

Show or tell us the make and model of your soldering iron.
The voltage and wattage should be printed on the iron.

Berzin

Joined Dec 17, 2020
How are you going to charge the car battery?
It will cost you more to charge the battery from your house mains than if you power the soldering iron directly from the house mains. There is no free lunch unless you use a solar charger. And then you will have to spend a lot more to buy a solar panel than the cost of electricity for many many years.

Show or tell us the make and model of your soldering iron.
The voltage and wattage should be printed on the iron.
I am planning to charge my battery directly by my car through jumping wires while I am planning to buy STANLEY 69-031B Round 30-Watt Corded Soldering Iron (Black and Chrome)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Let's do the math.

Suppose you left the 30W iron on for 24 hours a day.
30W x 24h = 720Wh = 0.72kWh
Assuming the cost of electricity is US$0.08 per kWh,
cost of 0.72kWh = US$0.06 = less than 5 Rupees

If you are going to turn the iron on for 4 hours, cost of electricity is US$0.01, less than 1 Rupee.