soldering FMC connectors on PCB

jondarl

Joined Aug 23, 2018
Hi Folks,

This is my first post. I have a PCB manufacture and I need to solder an FMC connector on it. Unfortunately, the PCB assembly houses will not do this job since it is too small ( I only need 2 PCBs populated with FMC connectors). I tried to solder it myself using 2 hot air guns but no luck - some of the connections did not solder properly.

I am wondering whether I can find any hobbyist nearby who is willing to do the assembly for me in exchange for cash. Any ideas?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

It would be helpful if you posted your location so "nearby" has more meaning.

It would also be helpful if you posted a picture of the board and connector in question.

It appears that the connectors in question are BGA type. That type of soldering isn't for DIY. Even commercial manufacturers have to allow for a certain amount of soldering failures.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Thanks for your quick reply. I am based in Surrey/UK.
Added some pictures below.
BGA requires commercial soldering equipment and inspection techniques. You're going to need to find someone with the equipment and skills to do it and pay whatever they want for piece work.

jondarl

Joined Aug 23, 2018
I just came across a few videos where people do their own BGA soldering at home.

I am wondering whether I could purchase a cheap BGA rework station such as: YIHUA 853AAA and do it myself...

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I just came across a few videos where people do their own BGA soldering at home.
As long as you understand the limitations of DIY. Commercial manufacturers allow for a certain amount of yield loss. If you need 100% yield, I predict you're going to be disappointed.

jondarl

Joined Aug 23, 2018
Thanks again for your swift replies.

I do not need a 100% yield, I am happy to follow the usual route of try/fail and finally succeed. I am wondering from your experience how much experience is required for this kind of job.

I can hand solder 0402 SMD components and small BGA ICs, however, I was not able to do the FMC connector since it covers a large area and it is difficult to heat across with hot air guns.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I am wondering from your experience how much experience is required for this kind of job.
It's more about proper equipment and technique than experience.

Manufacturers use reflow after preheating the board so that solder balls will melt at the same time. As you mentioned, doing it with two hot air tools at the same time is difficult for large pieces.

If you don't get it right on the first time, rework requires reballing; which requires more commercial equipment.

I have never attempted soldering BGA components, and don't plan to.