Solar switch not cooperating with LED light strip

Rehan Iqbal

Joined Jul 27, 2018
Hey guys,
I have been attempting to recreate a solar light (Those little outdoor garden lights) but on a much larger scale. I have attached a photo of the diagram that I was basing this off of. I have also attempted to use an LDR, but that would force me to use a relay, which I would prefer not to use. I am primarily attempting to use the solar panel as a darkness detector so that the light strip will turn on when it turns dark.
The Led Light Strip is 12v
and the Battery is 9v
The reason being is that I don't need the LED at full brightness.
Please tell me what I should change, or if I should use a different diagram.
Regards,
Rehan Iqbal
use-solar-panel-as-a-light-detector.jpg

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
You do not say the solar panel's voltage when it is lighted. It must produce a high enough voltage to turn off the transistor.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
First you showed a 12V battery then you said it was actually 9V. Then why are you asking about using a 12V solar panel?
The diode allows the solar panel to charge, over charge or explode the battery if there is nothing to limit the voltage and current.

Rehan Iqbal

Joined Jul 27, 2018
First you showed a 12V battery then you said it was actually 9V. Then why are you asking about using a 12V solar panel?
The diode allows the solar panel to charge, over charge or explode the battery if there is nothing to limit the voltage and current.
Sorry for the confusion, but I meant a 9v solar panel, the reason for is that I wanted to use a solar panel as opposed to an LDR is because an LDR would have me use a relay switch.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Also there is a good chance that a LED strip designed for 12 volts will not light at all with 9 volts. Tell us how many LEDs are in series and the value of the current limmiting resistor in each group on the LED strip. Also what colour are the LEDs. This is because different colour LEDs have different forward voltages.

Les.