Solar security light

bibble235

Joined May 29, 2018
I want to build one of these, I know I can build one but we all know there is no fun to be had there.

I am thinking either pico-w or ESP32 with a web frontend, for the bit I know less about some questions

1/ For the solar panel is there anything I need to be aware of? Waterproof, power etc or will any one do
2/ For the lights much the same, any special considerations. power etc
3/ For powering the microcontroller,
a) can I use the solar panel or should I have a different power source
b if different, what do I use, battery pack or connected to mains. Sure both are possible but want the expert recommendations
4/ Finally sensor I was thinking off is https://www.elprocus.com/working-of-different-types-of-motion-sensors/

Thanks for listening

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
This is really two projects. First, a solar battery charger, and second, an LED motion sensor light arrangement. The tricky part of the motion detector is the lens, which vary the IR transmission as the source moves, to generate the trigger signal.

bibble235

Joined May 29, 2018
Thanks for the help. Whilst it is will be great when it works, it is really an excuse to build something.

Really keen on understanding the solar and light recommendations though

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Sadly, the best to suggest is : Buy one like ----> https://www.ebay.com/itm/224837504130?hash=item34595c0c82:g:dDEAAOSwGeZiCayd&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4DGkSrEajLyYUnwQ7iCqa3gBS75tof3ktuORBPTgVWt5Q4QSe09gbRsKrBScyuoXK+DOAN3TbnQI4ywFR4OmDH2RT9bPhuAhvZGg1B5xrpHe5LFO4TU26sHLwlyNzIGgdjQ9ilB637Ym/u9o6TSdJbBBFsHBuirLO5VUE5peqvb9jM+P5GxWZPEfepv1eORIVu+Cs9YoevHuKc2PL4l3DAzHzZjblx4z59L8vTNuZ7d6AY2clZyLp3fDnHyyYqkrXwZC7Z2Loyr9xp9zmQDF7Y/74mBTXQOTnxedd4Pmyc63|tkp:Bk9SR4zN2sWXYQ
Or the one that pleases you.

Then dismantle it to pieces, take pictures, draw its schematic and make its parts list. Now you have ALL the parts needed confirmed good to work the way it is supposed to.

Put everything together and enjoy what you want to do. Now with your parts list try to buy the components ( qty. 1 ) from vendors. After you receive them all on an inflated price and overinflated shipping costs, build another with your schematic and pictures. Do not forget the printed circuit board and the hardest part of all : the weather-proof housing.

Perhaps will take you several months at 100 times the cost. You decide.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Depending on where the TS is located I could give them a motion sensor light assembly that is inoperative because of a failed plastic lens. It is presently in the spare parts heap, awaiting appropriate recycling, because the other portions are unbroken.
But as participants on this site can be from any part of the world, that may not make sense. The circuit board by itself is neither large nor heavy, while the rest of the package takes a lot of room and weighs much more.
It would be interesting to know what sort of lens replacement might work, because sunlight damage to the lens is the main failure I have observed, aside from lightning damage.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Most security lights I've seen have screw base bulbs, whether they're LED or Halogen. I've seen thieves unscrew the lamps and render them useless. When I learned from my neighbor that they did that to her I went out and bought an LED based unit that has integrated LED lights. Nothing to unscrew. Then mounted it inconveniently high so they can't just yank it off the wall. But as for shooting at it ? ? ? I think a loud bang would get more unwanted attention than an annoying neighbors light that comes on whenever a cat walks through the security field. And yes, my security light does light up when cats walk through.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Most security lights I've seen have screw base bulbs, whether they're LED or Halogen. I've seen thieves unscrew the lamps and render them useless. When I learned from my neighbor that they did that to her I went out and bought an LED based unit that has integrated LED lights. Nothing to unscrew. Then mounted it inconveniently high so they can't just yank it off the wall. But as for shooting at it ? ? ? I think a loud bang would get more unwanted attention than an annoying neighbors light that comes on whenever a cat walks through the security field. And yes, my security light does light up when cats walk through.
Not shooting at the light, but aiming at the prowler/burglar. That red laser dot from the laser gunsight is very intimidating.

The unfortunate thing about the heat sensing motion detectors is that the colder the ambient temperature is, the greater the contrast from a warm body of any size is. At zero degrees F even rats will trigger it. And my motion sensor is inconveniently located about 12 feet up.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The very cheap security light sold on ebay is guaranteed for only 3 months, maybe because its plastic solar panel lens gets sunburned. The instructions keep talking about sunlight that is rare in winter.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The very cheap security light sold on ebay is guaranteed for only 3 months, maybe because its plastic solar panel lens gets sunburned. The instructions keep talking about sunlight that is rare in winter.
In addition the VERY CHEAP battery will probably fail. It is a challenge to find items with worse quality than offered on ebay.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
That red laser dot from the laser gunsight is very intimidating.
If someone pointed a laser at your back you'd not see it. If it were on your forehead you would not see it. Pointed at your chest, it's likely not going to get noticed. Not unless a burglar has an accomplice who can alert the other to the dot.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If someone pointed a laser at your back you'd not see it. If it were on your forehead you would not see it. Pointed at your chest, it's likely not going to get noticed. Not unless a burglar has an accomplice who can alert the other to the dot.
That is correct. The intimidation part is the announcement that"the bullet goes in an inch below the laser spot". That, plus the illumination from the two Nightfighter floodlights that come on, discourages night time visitors.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
When living in Arizona (Sounthern U.S.) I would take my daily walks at night. I always found those motion sensing floodlights very annoying, much like those annoying cars in parking lots that sense when I walk past them and announce loudly "Back away from the car!"

Stock line from Rodney Dangerfield to summarize...