Solar panels in series

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
3300 watts you referring to is output.

Input can be anything right?

That's dependent on input specs right?

Sorry.

Well after googling i found this. Attache

Ok, you mean inverter itself cannot give more than 3300 watts no matter input.

What i am saying is, That is fine.

80% of times my panels don't give more than 5 amps.

If they exceed, should we not be under -- input range as per specs?

Doing 6 x45 plus 6 x45?

9 amp is written on pannel. Assume its 6. Now is there anything i can do with 2 panels?

Maximum rating is 9 amp.(sticker)

I measured, full washed full sunlight to ne 6.8 amp.

But as experts here said, not taking any chance, or i will fry my inverter.

Will only do if it's sure going to work. Can't experiment, all this is costly.

Yes equator, India.
I understood invertors have a best operating area circuit,
which varies the load on the panels to keep them at max efficiency.
once they inverter is at max output power,
its two options are to let the voltage on the panels increase, or to turn off.

moonbreakker

Joined Jan 15, 2017
I understood invertors have a best operating area circuit,
which varies the load on the panels to keep them at max efficiency.
once they inverter is at max output power,
its two options are to let the voltage on the panels increase, or to turn off.

Wonderful.

So i am safe. Let me do 9 + 3 parallel

moonbreakker

Joined Jan 15, 2017
Wonderful.

So i am safe. Let me do 9 + 3 parallel
I said this earlier, i am saying again.

Imagine, 9 panels are dusty, 1 is clean.

1 clean is actually (45volts 3 in parallel giving 27 amps max, usually 15 amps)

Inverter thinks 10 panels in series .

How the hell will inverter even know if I connect something in parallel..

It just looks like a bright sunny day.

Ampere input i am well below it..

Ain't i?

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Each panel must pass the same current, up to the maximum any one panel can handle. So paralleling 3 panels will not increase the current overall.
I have two 11 panels in series/parallel and when snow covers them, I have to clean off all 11of any string to get full power for that string. If I leave one panel covered, current is low for the entire string, and power is low as well. My panels have built-in diodes, so two strings of 11 panels will work if only one set if clear (2500W rating), but if I clear both 11 panel strings, I get the 5000W
I have another string of 10 panels, but that has to feed a separate inverter because the voltage is different. You can have multiple inverters, nothing wrong with that concept. In fact, separate inverters help when you have a problem with one string, as the other string still produces some power

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Each panel must pass the same current, up to the maximum any one panel can handle. So paralleling 3 panels will not increase the current overall.
I have two 11 panels in series/parallel and when snow covers them, I have to clean off all 11of any string to get full power for that string. If I leave one panel covered, current is low for the entire string, and power is low as well. My panels have built-in diodes, so two strings of 11 panels will work if only one set if clear (2500W rating), but if I clear both 11 panel strings, I get the 5000W
I have another string of 10 panels, but that has to feed a separate inverter because the voltage is different. You can have multiple inverters, nothing wrong with that concept. In fact, separate inverters help when you have a problem with one string, as the other string still produces some power
Out of interest,
Are your panels really in parallel ?

I have two strings , that go into my invertor,
But the inverter has two different inputs each with the power optimiser circuit.
its like two invertors in one,
I can read back and the two strings most of the time have different voltages on them.

Have look here on shading
https://www.renewableenergyworld.com/storage/shade-happens-installation/#gref

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Out of interest,

But the inverter has two different inputs each with the power optimiser circuit.
I can read back and the two strings most of the time have different voltages on them.

No, I have two strings in parallel to the same feed point on the inverter. Yes, the inverter has 2 sets of terminals, but they are the same bus internally. That is just to allow higher current input to the 5kw inverter but keeping the voltage within upper limits. Each string does have, however, a separate fuse. After fuses, they all feed the same point where there is the DC disconnect to the rest of the inverter.

moonbreakker

Joined Jan 15, 2017
Out of interest,

My setup is this.

10 panels in series.
45 x 10 = 450 volt dc which i get.

Like batteries, i thought i can do 9 + 3 parallel and inverter will see only 10 panels.

But as andrewmm warned above, i am not doing anything.

My panels are shining in sunlight. :) as in attachment.

Maybe i will create a small coil and connect and put it in my bathtub..:))

What else to do? Its useless..2 panels 500 USD..

Attachments

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
No, I have two strings in parallel to the same feed point on the inverter. Yes, the inverter has 2 sets of terminals, but they are the same bus internally. That is just to allow higher current input to the 5kw inverter but keeping the voltage within upper limits. Each string does have, however, a separate fuse. After fuses, they all feed the same point where there is the DC disconnect to the rest of the inverter.
As others have commented,
putting panels in parallel only works if the efficiency and illumination on both strings is the same,

If there are not two MPP inputs to that inverter, then you can not connect two strings to the inverter.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
My setup is this.

10 panels in series.

Like batteries, i thought i can do 9 + 3 parallel and inverter will see only 10 panels.

Serious envy
we just have rain , followed by heavy rain, with light rain forcast

moonbreakker

Joined Jan 15, 2017
My setup is this.

10 panels in series.

I have done enough research..95% engineers like you smart people said there is no solution.

So, I don't know what to do..

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
As others have commented,
putting panels in parallel only works if the efficiency and illumination on both strings is the same,

If there are not two MPP inputs to that inverter, then you can not connect two strings to the inverter.
As I said earlier, my panels have built in diodes, to prevent one string from feeding into another. With 2 strings, I can run well with only one uncovered from snow, the other covered. Once I uncover the second string, the power doubles. Inverter has one DC feed after fuses to the actual inverter circuit. But yes, it is a good design to make the panel strings identical if possible.....
fronius_DC.jpg.

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
Your panels are rated at 335 watts. Your inverter, rated at 3300 watts, can only handle 10 panels. It sounds as if you have purchased two new panels. You can swap two panels out for the new units and you may get a small increase in power.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
The diodes in the panels
there are normally across the panel,
so a panel can not be reverse biased,

If you have one string giving 300 volts,
and the other 200 volts,
the 200 v panels will contribute nothing as they are reverse biased.

moonbreakker

Joined Jan 15, 2017
Your panels are rated at 335 watts. Your inverter, rated at 3300 watts, can only handle 10 panels. It sounds as if you have purchased two new panels. You can swap two panels out for the new units and you may get a small increase in power.

Yeh,

Pathetic decision.

Now 2 panels are useless 500$ wasted.

To recover 500$ invest another 500$ for inverter.

And wait for 4 5 years for recovery.

And what if world war 3? End of the world..

4 years is long time to invest another 500$

moonbreakker

Joined Jan 15, 2017
The diodes in the panels
there are normally across the panel,
so a panel can not be reverse biased,

If you have one string giving 300 volts,
and the other 200 volts,
the 200 v panels will contribute nothing as they are reverse biased.
I am fitting nonetheless, let's measure output and see how it works.

Inverter is branded from good company, i am sure it has surge protection

Attachment
Yes,

Pathetic decision.

Bought 2 panels for 500$

To recover that, buy inverter, 500$

To recover 1000$ wait 4 5 years.

As of now fitting panels.

Maybe will gift neighbour.

Attachment below..

Attachments

moonbreakker

Joined Jan 15, 2017
Agreed,

Agree.

It comes down to ROI.

Maybe Elon will make cheaper panels and inverters..

Inverters are just 2 coils. God knows why so costly.