Solar LED circuit help

sandworm

Joined Aug 2, 2007
Hi everyone,

I'm new to electronics projects, and am looking at a few simple projects to increase my understanding. I have done a few kits, and I can solder and have a basic understanding of how parts go together, but that's more just following directions than actually having an intuitive grasp of what everything does.

Right now I'm looking at making a solar powered LED light, like this one:
http://www.instructables.com/id/E3UXT5HGT7EUOJJIYE/#C4WYW3XF4ULN83W

Basically, it involves disassembling a solar garden light and putting the innards into a jar. For myself though, I'd like to actually make the circuit myself. One person described the circuit in the following post:

quote ------------------------

These lights typically have very simple circuitry.

The one that I'm looking at right now consists of a:
LED
diode
transistor
resistor
cadmium sulfide cell.

The diode is to block the voltage from the batteries discharging into the solar cell which would happen during periods of darkness (nighttime).

The cadmium sulfide cell is a light sensitive resistor it's at the top between the two solar cells. This light sensitive resistor is going turn the transistor on or off.

The transistor then acting as a switch either allows electricity to flow through the LEDs or not.

Bypassing the cadmium sulfide cell and the transistor with a manual switch would allow you to do the same thing physically.

end quote ----------------------

Could anyone on this board help me to understand what this would actually look like, perhaps with a simple drawing? I don't have the knowledge to design the circuit myself yet, but that's why I'm starting here! :)

I live in Taiwan, so it's probably unlikely that I'd be able to find a solar powered garden light to take apart anyway.

Thank you for your help!