Software to control stepper motors by pressing keys in order to choose program

SlugMan

Joined Feb 18, 2022
God bless you,
do you know software to control stepper motors dependently by pressing keys on keyboard? I mean if I press "1" on keyboard, 1st motor will move 10 mm, 2nd motor - 3 mm, 3rd motor - 5 mm etc.
I think the best solution is to code a program in C++ or C and upload it to a microcontroller which controls motors. Are there better ideas?
Best regards,
SlugMan

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
God bless you,
do you know software to control stepper motors dependently by pressing keys on keyboard? I mean if I press "1" on keyboard, 1st motor will move 10 mm, 2nd motor - 3 mm, 3rd motor - 5 mm etc.
I think the best solution is to code a program in C++ or C and upload it to a microcontroller which controls motors. Are there better ideas?
Best regards,
SlugMan
There is no question that a microcontroller would be involved. it is very likely (though not certain) that C/C++ would be too. Bit the trouble is, your theoretical example doesn't tell us what you actually want to do. To get real help, you'll need to explain the problem you are trying to solve, not a version designed to "simplify" or hide your real goal.

If you are trying to "leave out the unimportant parts", with all due respect you aren't qualified to know what would be important to an expert or not. If you are trying to hide something proprietary for fear of losing profits, why are you asking for free help from random strangers?

I promise that if you explain your problem, that is, the one this device is supposed to solve, you will get more interest and much better answers.

SlugMan

Joined Feb 18, 2022
There is no question that a microcontroller would be involved. it is very likely (though not certain) that C/C++ would be too. Bit the trouble is, your theoretical example doesn't tell us what you actually want to do. To get real help, you'll need to explain the problem you are trying to solve, not a version designed to "simplify" or hide your real goal.

If you are trying to "leave out the unimportant parts", with all due respect you aren't qualified to know what would be important to an expert or not. If you are trying to hide something proprietary for fear of losing profits, why are you asking for free help from random strangers?

I promise that if you explain your problem, that is, the one this device is supposed to solve, you will get more interest and much better answers.
My client bought a eSun machine which coils pocket springs. I must add stepper motors along with PLC controller to it. The controller has to setup a spring size through how much steps motors will make by a chosen program.
For example, if I choose program 1, motors will move like I stated in the recent post.
If I choose program 2, motors will move another various amounts of steps etc.
What PLC controller or software to normal PC will be suitable?

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
My client bought a eSun machine which coils pocket springs. I must add stepper motors along with PLC controller to it. The controller has to do what I stated in the recent post. What PLC controller or software to normal PC will be suitable?
In the situation, a PLC would probably be the best choice if the budget can handle it. They are designed for industrial applications just like this one. I am not an expert in PLCs but there are many here. I hope one steps up to help.

As far as using a PC: you would have to purchase a stepper controller that is designed for that. It would probably be USB connected but could possibly use Ethernet Usually they have C libraries included but I wouldn't be surprised if they had some alternatives like Python.

A question, what happens if your stepper arrangement fails during operation?

SlugMan

Joined Feb 18, 2022
I will enter another steps amounts in software or PLC. I can change position of motors. I might also setup motor controllers by switches on their cases.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I will enter another steps amounts in software or PLC. I can change position of motors. I might also setup motor controllers by switches on their cases.
I am not sure what you are saying.

My questions is: will things beak or can people be injured if your add-on steppers either stop working or do something unexpected?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What you ask for is doable and much more.
You need someone who can:

1) design the system,
2) implement the solution.

If you do not have the knowledge and experience to do that then get someone to do it for you.