So why don't they make a 14 inch high over range microwave?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The house I bought is really nice but they did a few stupid things. My main issue is the kitchen cabinets. They are all mounted t2 inches too low!
The former owner cheaped out when they installed new cabinets. The old ones were those old fashioned 1950s steel cabinets. I still have some in my workroom in the basement. The cabinets were mounted under bulk heads. Instead of removing them they just mounted the modern cabinets 2 inches lower than they should be.

I wondered how in the heck did they get the pantry to match with the top of the cabinets. Figured it out the first time I washed the floor. They cut the bottom of the pantry out!

So they placed an overhead microwave below the cabinets over the range. That makes the microwave too close to the cooking surface where the door gets hot.

One option would be to rip out the whole kitchen and start over, Which I would love since I hate the counter top. But with nearing retirement I should not be spending that kind of money.

Another thought get the cabinet above cut down and microwave moved up.

Yet another , just remove the microwave with a counter top but I don't have a whole lot of space. I do have some space next to the frig I might be able to get a microwave stand into,

Then I got the idea of a shorter microwave. But they make none! Well they make a very expensive low profile version that you can get a cup of coffee into but they make nothing in the 14inch high range .

Why don't they make a microwave in a 14 inch height??? The one I have is enormous! I could probanly cook a turkey in there. ;)

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I would say it's demand and supply.
Not many are in your situation, so there's little demand for a 14" high under-cabinet microwave, and thus no supply. :(

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I would say it's demand and supply.
Not many are in your situation, so there's little demand for a 14" high under-cabinet microwave, and thus no supply. :(

Why would they make the low profile ones then? Bet there are lots of people that don't want a behemoth hanging over their range.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
For some reason my kitchen was built with a short space for the microwave. There’s just one model, from GE, that fits. I’m sick of its low power and whatever other compromises I made to get the one that fits. Next time it fails, I’m going to cut the trim wood and switch to normal sizes for good. I’m already running a zombie. I pulled the magnetron out of one with a failed board and stuck it in an older one with a working board but a dead magnetron.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I would just re-hang the cabinets if the ceiling will permit, I don't know if he can see my posts or not, so if someone can PM him. It's not that difficult providing he has someone to help out.

kv

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I don't know why people put them over the range myself. If you cook at all on the stove top, the grease and smoke gets on and into the microwave.