So. That new minimum wage thing. Might as well start disgusing it here.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
upload_2016-5-31_19-38-38.png
Seriously? You can't figure that one out?

That's like asking if a modern IC fab costs billions of dollars to build and has a useful live of just a few years, how can you by some ICs for well under a dollar a piece.

How many millions of people went to see that new X-men movie this weekend? How many millions of people went to see the Yankees this weekend?

Now couple that with the fact that once the film is made the cost for actually showing it is basically nothing, but the marginal cost for every additional baseball game is the same.
So I guess what your saying is Jennifer Lawrence is worth a higher salary than Labron James. Could be I guess - certainly prettier. :D

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
from the Business Dictionary. Say's law ... the law of markets
Economic concept that in an open economy 'supply creates its own demand.' As people produce and supply more to a market, they automatically demand more from the market; therefore, total supply would be equal to the total demand, and factors of production (land, labor, capital) would always be fully utilized. This apparently sound argument (because GDP, whether measured as income, value of expenditure, or value of output, remains the same) has not been scientifically proved. An alternative explanation was given by the UK economist, John Maynard Keynes (1883-1946), that the value of planned output of goods and services is equal to the their planned consumption or demand.
I don't think any of them work all the time, but it is this one that got us in trouble this time. Automation has allowed business to produce much more with fewer people. So all the money has gone to the top and demand has not expanded to match the increase in production because of decreased real income at the lower levels. It's Reagan's service economy.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
View attachment 107093

So I guess what your saying is Jennifer Lawrence is worth a higher salary than Labron James. Could be I guess - certainly prettier. :D
From an economic standpoint, if hiring Person A to do B will return more than hiring Person X to do Y, who is worth more?

Note that this is a very narrow and specific definition of "worth" that says nothing whatsoever about a person's overall "worth" or in any other respect.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
From an economic standpoint, if hiring Person A to do B will return more than hiring Person X to do Y, who is worth more?

Note that this is a very narrow and specific definition of "worth" that says nothing whatsoever about a person's overall "worth" or in any other respect.
Just a funny to poke fun at the beautiful people, and the people who poke at them. :D
See smiley face.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Are you paying them solely on their skills used at the moment or their Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities to keep your butt alive if things go awry. Maybe you can get a better deal from the lawn mower, after you agree to exempt the hospital from any and all liability when things go awry.
I work in a hospital and the only thing that is saving patients from brain damage is the design of the anaesthetic cart and the fact that it is (hopefully) checked by a biomed as suggested by a manufacturer. I am yet to see an anesthesiologist perform a check on a machine as they should before putting a patient under. I have seen kids given a full anaesthetic when the anaesthetic cart is not functioning properly because something was fone the night before. The lack of professionalism in medical profession is far above any other and that is why they pay into that malpractice bank. Any attempt on my part to get them to commit to quality control has failed because hospital administration is afraid of the doctors as they are above and beyond reproach.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I have to admit one of my cousins is an anesthesiologist and to be honest I wouldn't hire her to mow my lawn and expect her to get it right the first time. :oops:

So yea I say anyone who can focus on paying attention to what a machine is saying and act accordingly plus know how to check whether it's functioning correctly before and during its operation probably could mow a lawn safely and efficiently probably be an anesthesiologist. :rolleyes:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Okay, so push for having the requirements to be licensed as an anesthesiologist lowered to a fifth-grade education and the demonstrated ability to mow a lawn.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Our health care system (some say the best) is the third leading cause of death in our country.

It's about 400,000 a year now. That's only the deaths, not counting the survivors of malpractice, which is many more.

Third cause of death. They call it mistakes. We let them regulate themselves. Top income earners.
Where is the outrage?

The other top earners, the lawyers get to regulate themselves too.
How much damage do they do to our economy and culture every year?
Where is the outrage?

The only wage that needs to be regulated is the maximum wage.

https://www.propublica.org/article/how-many-die-from-medical-mistakes-in-us-hospitals

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Okay, so push for having the requirements to be licensed as an anesthesiologist lowered to a fifth-grade education and the demonstrated ability to mow a lawn.
Well, that requirement of showing proficiency at mowing a lawn alone would have put at least half the bosses and managers (not to say what it would do to our politicians, lawyers, and how many doctors) I have ever had out of a job. :D :( :eek:

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Our health care system (some say the best) is the third leading cause of death in our country.

It's about 400,000 a year now. That's only the deaths, not counting the survivors of malpractice, which is many more.

Third cause of death. They call it mistakes. We let them regulate themselves. Top income earners.
Where is the outrage?

The other top earners, the lawyers get to regulate themselves too.
How much damage do they do to our economy and culture every year?
Where is the outrage?

The only wage that needs to be regulated is the maximum wage.

https://www.propublica.org/article/how-many-die-from-medical-mistakes-in-us-hospitals
There will not be an outrage. Look at the response to my comment. I once questioned our head anesthetist whether their team performs leak tests on the units before each procedure, he said yes they do. I asked him how they manage to do the testing and showed him cracked rubber bulb that is their supposed test tool. These are the knowledgable people in charge of your life. I can tell more but why bother, the myth is alive and well. Go forth, take pills, get your tests and think that it is good to die in a hospital bed. Oh, and this is not a single localized occurrence.

I understand, one has to believe that medical establishment is there to help you. If only it was true in real life. How many on this site are on medication for life with no plan to at least minimize the amount taken or lower the dose? How much are your doctors making to keep you on those? Is that salary deserved? Are you willing to pay them that money? Was it a rational decision on your part? Are you sure there are no alternatives?

disclosure: I have epilepsy and am on two meds to control it. Used to be 3. If I last 10 more years without seizures and can last at this job, I might try coming off both.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
If you really believe in that, next time you or your lived ones go under the knife, ask that kid instead. Everyone wins, :)
I would be more inclined to ask my local Animal Vet. :D

What can I say the guys got a super track record and besides if I am not saveable he would only charge $50 (Small livestock rate) to put me to sleep and end my suffering. :cool:

How many doctors can you name that will do that for a guy? o_O

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
So, the 'leaders' should be chosen by those other than who own the corporation? Interesting.
Do you know anything about how a corporation works? A board member may or may not own shares in the company. He is simply nominated by a share holder and the shareholders vote to elect them. Once elected, compensation is recommended by the CEO. In turn, the board members approve the CEO salary (and both circle upwards with no known correlation) with one certainty - that the growth rate in their respective compensation is higher than earnings growth or GDP.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
It is in terms of the absolute levels of care given. there is no dispute about that.

Ours is also the worst in terms of the cost and inefficiency, precisely because of the levels of care provided. In essence, we have 1) a system where the care recipients don't pay directly for the cost of providing care to him/her, 2) a system that provides just BMWs or Mercedes of care and no Ford or Chevy of care.

As such, I strongly support the notion of 1) providing low quality care, making the market more diversified; and 2) turning the healthcare insurance into a true insurance product that covers unexpected costs, not a financing plan for healthcare expenses.

The two allow the patients to have skin in the game and incentivize them to care about the cost of the care they demand.