Snowstorm?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Here in my part of Canada it is snowing again. We got another inch today (big deal). It will stop snowing in half an hour as shown on the satellite photos.

I also wore a short sleeve shirt today. But I was indoors because it was slightly above freezing outside.

My dogs love the snow.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I would like to walk on frozen Lake Ontario but I can't get near it. Before it froze the wind blew the water up onto the shore where it froze and made a beautiful barrier.

One year the water blew 5m up the lights then froze along the walkway at the edge of the lake and it looked wonderful.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Do you have any pictures of that, that is something i would love to see :)

on a related note... snow doughnut

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
I would like to walk on frozen Lake Ontario but I can't get near it. Before it froze the wind blew the water up onto the shore where it froze and made a beautiful barrier.

One year the water blew 5m up the lights then froze along the walkway at the edge of the lake and it looked wonderful.
Next time you get down there, stop and wave so I can see what you look like..;)

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I looked at the satellite photos on Google Earth and on Microsoft MAPs at the parks where I fly my RC electric airplanes and at the boardwalks where I walk my dog. I didn't see myself but I saw my daughter's husband driving down the road.
I saw my old car and my new car but I never had both at the same time.

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
I looked at the satellite photos on Google Earth and on Microsoft MAPs at the parks where I fly my RC electric airplanes and at the boardwalks where I walk my dog. I didn't see myself but I saw my daughter's husband driving down the road.
I meant "see you from across the pond....." :D

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I meant "see you from across the pond....." :D
I had cataracts operations on my eyes because the original lenses became very cloudy and I was quickly going blind. So I got synthetic lenses transplanted.
Now I can see perfectly and very far away. If I am high enough to clear the curvature of the earth then I can probably see you waving on the other side of Lake Ontario.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
You keep saying satellite weather too, you do realize radar is picked up from ground stations and that google earth is photos from airplanes pieced together, right?

at least i hope so... :/

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I know that Google Street View has pics from very low flying jet fighter airplanes. I see them fly down my street every year.
Microsoft have some very detailed satellite photos.
I look at real satellite pics every day on Weather Eye on my pc.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Haha, sorry, im used to the old people that think email tells the mailman to deliver a letter...:rolleyes:
The prospect of explaining the concept to the average retiree scares most teenagers;)

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
Haha, sorry, im used to the old people that think email tells the mailman to deliver a letter...:rolleyes:
The prospect of explaining the concept to the average retiree scares most teenagers;)
You'll appreciate this then... A few years ago, we bought my MIL a simple pre-paid cell phone because she was getting stranded outside bingo halls by no show taxi drivers in the winter. We explained that she was only to use it in case of emergencies. About a month later, we receive a frantic call from that phone. Mom says " I need help!" I asked where she was and I would pick her up. She says..."I'm home, I can't find the remote!!"

I patiently reply that the phone was for important emergencies... and she retorts..: " You dont understand...this IS an emergency!!! there is a tennis match on right now!!! " :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I will miss her, what a great lady!!!!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
-15° is no excuse. They are wimps. My daughter "lives" (if you can call it that) in northern Minnesota. Her children wear shorts at -15°F.

John

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Did I say farenheight?
I MEANT KELVIN!!!
;)
Apparently its actually a law here that if the windchill is below -15 they cant have school.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
WINDCHILL? you must be kidding. ;) I lived in southern MN for many years and saw -80°F windchills. I thought it was silly. After all, I could run to the mail box and back and didn't freeze to death. But in all seriousness, if you were out longer than that, it was dangerous. When I was there, some guy's car broke down. He saw a house about 200 yards away. He never made it.

The one thing I learned in moving from SoCal to MN was that bad weather was not something to mess with.

BTW, In SoCal, we did have heat days (pre-A/C). If it was over 100°F and humidity was less than 5%, students would pass out at their desks.

John

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
In the middle of winter I was sent to do a job in Colorado which is fairly far south. It was not cold so I dressed for it. Then I was sent to Winnipeg where the temperature was less than 40 degrees C or F and it was a low number that predicts how soon bare skin will freeze. I went out in the cold with no hat, no gloves and no boots and shuffled from store to store. Then the stores began to close so I ran back to my hotel.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I went into work one Saturday in MN and some guy came in dressed kind of funny. He had cross country skied into work. He had a beard, his face was a frozen blob of ice, and he was sweating. I thought he must be crazy. It turned out he was only Norwegian. That was my first year there and first time I had met a real cross-country skier.

John