"Smoothing" Rsense analog input to read BRUSHED DC MOTOR current

LE-BU

Joined Nov 3, 2017
Hello evrybody,
I would like measure the image of the current of a brushed dc motor with the analog input of a MSP430 but the signal is noisy because of the brushes commutation . I don't need a realy flat signal because I will do an average with multiple sampling , but I need something more clean. Could you give me some advices about the capacitor value or the RC filter to put in place . I don't know realy how implant this filter.
RegardsMy H bridge.JPG Continous DC Motor signal.JPG

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Depending in how fast you want to see changes in the current, you could use a low-pass filter on the current signal.

Bertus

LE-BU

Joined Nov 3, 2017
Hello,

Depending in how fast you want to see changes in the current, you could use a low-pass filter on the current signal.

Bertus
betwin 30 to 50 ms , more rapidely , it's not necessery, but have you some advise about the low pass filter calculation ?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If a single-pole RC filter does not reduce the noise sufficiently then you may need to use an active filter with more poles such as this 3-pole, low-pass active filter.
You would probably want to use the Bessel type for your requirements, since it has little overshoot with a step (fast changing) input.