SMD Inductor questions

sollap

Joined Sep 24, 2022
Hi everyone,

I have a failed SMD inductor that has no other markings on it other than 161 (or 191) on the top. Here's a picture of a good one mounted on the board.

4pin L-R.jpg

It's a 4 pin device, so I understand this to be a coupled inductor. Do you agree with that? Do you think it's 160 uH?

The device is about 4.8mm square. I have no idea of it's ratings. It's being used on the positive and negative traces of a 15v DC feed. I guess for filtering. Since 160uH does not seem to be available, do you think 150uH would be acceptable?

Oh, here's a picture of the cooked one. Some transient hit the 15v bus and took out this inductor, and a Mornsun DC/DC converter down the line. Might be more damage as I look around some more.

Failed Inductor.jpg

Last edited:

sollap

Joined Sep 24, 2022
I replaced the defective inductor with a pair of 150uH inductors. The equipment works now, but that's due to the short being removed. I'm still not sure about the rating on the original. I was thinking that a 9 would be written in a more digital fashion, and a 6 would have the curved tail to differentiate it. But, I'm not sure if that's correct. Any opinions on whether this is a 161 or 191?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Component values are usually presented as two digits and a power of ten multiplier.So that device would be either 16 x 10 uH=160uH or 19x 10 uH=190 uH .whichever value is standard.