SMD based PIC Development board

King2

Joined Jul 17, 2022
I just want to make PIC development board based on SMD components for practice . I know I need to make schematic before making PCB layout.

I don't know which microcontroller to choose under eagle-> microchip library, also suggest capacitor and crystal for selected pic

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I just want to make PIC development board based on SMD components for practice . I know I need to make schematic before making PCB layout.

I don't know which microcontroller to choose under eagle-> microchip library, also suggest capacitor and crystal for selected pic
If it's a development board, get a microcontroller with as many features as possible. The modern PICs don't need a crystal and run at 32MHz or more.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I like the 44 pin TSOP PICs because I can solder them, and they give me enough pins for most anything I would build in a package about the same size as an 8-pin DIP.

Within any family, PICs tend to use the same pinout for all models, so using that footprint would allow a large choice of PICs.

If making a general purpose prototype board, I would put a bit of breadboard area to add THT components at will. Connect rows to GPIOs.

King2

Joined Jul 17, 2022
I like the 44 pin TSOP PICs because I can solder them, and they give me enough pins for most anything I would build in a package about the same size as an 8-pin DIP.
Where do you get 44 pin TSOP PICs in eagle under microchip ?

1677507543726.png

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I don’t use Eagle. And that screen shot does not help much, though some mention 44-pin.

I would use the Microchip website to pick a PIC, cross checking with the Eagle library.

If you are a beginner with SMT, SSOP packages might be the easiest to solder. The come up to 28 pins.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
View the parts on mouser.com and there you can download footprints for the various parts - you'll need mouser's tool to convert the footprint to an Eagle footprint.
Wow, didn’t know about that. I am sure Eagle has any of the leaded SMT footprints you are likely to choose. Ine thing that turned me off to Eagle was the difficulty of creating new parts.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
But you need more than just the footprint unless you are just going to design a board without a schematic, which would be a very bad idea. Hopefully, the Eagle library will have a part with both schematic symbol and footprint.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
But you need more than just the footprint unless you are just going to design a board without a schematic, which would be a very bad idea. Hopefully, the Eagle library will have a part with both schematic symbol and footprint.
They are each available on the mouser package. Take a look.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The ones on snapeda are usually complete eagle compatible libraries for making boards. Schematic symbol and footprint both.

Example:
1677514435934.png

Attachments

Last edited: