Smart TVs, Smart Meters, and other Spying Contraptions

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/08/telescreen/

Ever since I bought this new Samsung TV, I've been cussing them out, and any other government agency, every chance I get.

Even though I have the camera and microphone turned off, I bet they will get my message.

Check out the "privacy" BS.........

Even DirecTV, won't allow you to delete your history.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
"In Soviet Russia, TV watches you." LOL! :D
That's absurd. Soviet Russia folded.
The NSA had to take over running their domestic surveillance programs.

I scoff at your tinfoil hat.
Mine is made of copper; much more stylish, durable, and easy to solder! :p

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
The government sponsored television developement and did observe citizens as early as 1950s, reading the phosphor coating with the electron beam and transmitting the signal with weird coils which are designed complicated on purpose so almost no one can understand the circuit.

For real the Amiga 500 actually had a backdoor even although, primitive, it allowed to conceal digital data on VCR tapes and for the dummies, inside two times CIA is written on ICs.

mxg2579

Joined Jun 10, 2015
So how exactly is my smart meter spying on me? :rolleyes:
It knows when you microwave those frozen lunches, and when you wash and dry your clothes! :eek:

But seriously, I think people are worried that utilities are going to start controlling your appliances and affecting your life. Honestly, I don't believe it, a utility company has no interest in their customers daily lives. They only want to know times of high usage, etc. And to me smart meters help you better understand how much energy you use and where it is being used. I don't buy into the spying paranoia.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Everything works better with more information..
Doesn't mean they are watching you tinkle...

No company wants to spend money on actual human employees to process this data as the amount of actual data is astronomical even now so a machine/computer does it.. That computer is not a pervert or nosy and could care less that you are walking around with no pants on.. It has just been programmed to look for certain events (high energy consumption, traffic jams, TV watching patterns) and respond accordingly.

"Could" someone actually be spying on you with this technology.. Sure they could..
"Could" someone be standing outside your window also watching you.. Sure they could.. <-- I'd be more worried about this than any "Smart TV/Phone/Meter"..

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have a Samsung TV. I never connected it to the internet. How is it spying on me?
I have DirecTV. I never connected it to the internet or a phone line. How is it spying on me?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Just went to the super market and of course used my wife's "advantage" card. Bought some fish, Redds Hard Cider, Grandma's Cole Slaw and other assorted stuff. Just think all my grocery purchases are known, they know my choice in food products. Guessing my set top CATV box tells the mother ship everything I watch on TV. Since I have signed firearms transfers they know I own guns and since my wife and I were fingerprinted for a FFL (Firearms License) our fingerprints are on file somewhere. Truth really be known since I worked under both DoE and DoD clearances there are more files on me. When we get right down to it the government likely knows more about me than I know about me.

At my age, I really don't care anymore. Looks like more rain moving in this afternoon so guess I'll load some ammo and watch TV. :)

Ron

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
@Metalmann - Now the internet knows you have a samsung TV. We can get your IP address and find your TV, and view your history.
I'm sure there's someone in your life that would have something to say about your nocturnal interests in "Leslie Takes all Comers" and "Naughty Students, Naughtier Teacher."

Joined Nov 30, 2010
"Could" someone actually be spying on you with this technology.. Sure they could..
That's all it takes. Our government is logging every phone call and internet post in the country (and some in other countries). Why? Because they can.

When millions of people have a TV or computer that contains a camera and/or microphone, my government will eventually gather that information.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
It knows when you microwave those frozen lunches, and when you wash and dry your clothes! :eek:
My local power company has their website setup so that their customers can access their smart meter readings any time the want and see at any moment how much power they are using hour by hour over any time period since the put the meters in.

I for one rather like it. Two falls ago when I went to Turkey for a month with my wife I would log into their site and look at my power usage. Being everything was turned off I had at most a 100 watt load in the day and 200 at night when the yard lights come on. Going by that I could easily see exactly when my furnace was running by the extra few hundred watt hour rise it would log during whatever hours it ran. :cool:

I also noticed a few days with substantially higher peaks which related to my brother and his buddies coming over to my shop to do some welding and metal work that was too big for his stuff to handle. :p

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
My tv is a smart Crt tv.....with a smart ir remote control... depending on the button(s) I press on the remote....the tv responds accordingly. ...would you believe it?.....annnnd I have a smart kitchen appliance that makes Toast.....whatever will these chinese think of next?

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
If you require any assistance....im sure I could knock up a suitable valve circuit to reprogram your wife to be an excellent TV operator and Toast maker....