Small sized AC To DC Converter

rijoe.mathew

Joined Sep 21, 2014
I'm planning to build a smart socket like device for which i need to power up my microcontroller from the ac source, so please help me with an ac to dc converter that fits into this small space(Input :220-250V & Output:12V or 5V).

you are not telling us anything and asking everything in return. For what we know you don't even know about electronics at all.

What do you seek? High current? Low Noise? High voltage stability? Efficiency?

Either way search for buck converters.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I'm planning to build a smart socket like device for which i need to power up my microcontroller from the ac source, so please help me with an ac to dc converter that fits into this small space(Input :220-250V & Output:12V or 5V).
They make these.
upload_2016-11-4_10-16-5.jpeg

rijoe.mathew

Joined Sep 21, 2014
you are not telling us anything and asking everything in return. For what we know you don't even know about electronics at all.

What do you seek? High current? Low Noise? High voltage stability? Efficiency?

Either way search for buck converters.
I need something that fits in that space, with an output current of 500mA and Voltage of 5V or 12V

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
If it doesn't have a transformer it cannot be discussed here, according to the User Agreement for this forum. Transformerless power supplies are just too unsafe, especially for those who want to build them. Have you ever wondered why you don't see transformerless line powered phone chargers?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I need something that fits in that space, with an output current of 500mA and Voltage of 5V or 12V
Fits in what space?

No dimension have been given. :oops:

Pull the guts out of a USB adapter would be my suggestion being you won't make or find a smaller isolated AC input 5 volt DC output power supply than one of those.

rijoe.mathew

Joined Sep 21, 2014
If it doesn't have a transformer it cannot be discussed here, according to the User Agreement for this forum. Transformerless power supplies are just too unsafe, especially for those who want to build them. Have you ever wondered why you don't see transformerless line powered phone chargers?
But i dont see any transformers in today's mobile phone chargers

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
If you carefully gut wall warts you can get fairly small switch mode power supplies. The attached one is 5V/700mA. Most are regulated, but some are not. You have to find a way to insulate the PCB from it's new enclosure, as you are still dealing with 120VAC in the input side. I do this frequently.

Ken

5V700mA SMPS.JPG

rijoe.mathew

Joined Sep 21, 2014
If you carefully gut wall warts you can get fairly small switch mode power supplies. The attached one is 5V/700mA. Most are regulated, but some are not. You have to find a way to insulate the PCB from it's new enclosure, as you are still dealing with 120VAC in the input side. I do this frequently.

Ken

View attachment 114938
Iam from India and is there any way i can buy such a type of small transformer( with input: 230V and output:12V)