Small Nortons Theorem Question

RotatingEmu

Joined Jun 15, 2007
Hi, The question I have is stated:

Determine the Norton Equivalent circuit of a two-terminal DC network given the results of the following two measurements: a short-circuit across the output terminals yields a current 0.2A; and a 300 ohm resistor connected across the output terminals gives a voltage of 15V.

Now I gather that the Norton Current output is 0.2A but I cannot work out the Norton Resistance.

Any help appreciated.

RotatingEmu

Joined Jun 15, 2007
I dont know if its right or wrong but I come up with a resistance of 100 ohms for the Norton Resistance. Hopefully the picture i drew shows how I calculated R(norton) = 100 ohms.

Attachments

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
You appear to have figured it out. Congratulations!

I am surprised that you were so uncertain in your original posting?

hgmjr

RotatingEmu

Joined Jun 15, 2007
Thanks for the reassurance. I came up with a few different answers and decided that one was the most logical in its derivation.

Also, I get confused with the resistor being in parallel with the current source when its a Norton Circuit but in series with the Voltage source in the Thevenins Circuit, and yet both resistances are said to have the same value. Im sure ill grasp it in time. Thanks again.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
Also, I get confused with the resistor being in parallel with the current source when its a Norton Circuit but in series with the Voltage source in the Thevenins Circuit, and yet both resistances are said to have the same value. Im sure ill grasp it in time. Thanks again.
current sources and voltage sources are dual of each other.
the effects of the configurations are same.
try cross checking by calculation.