Small Inverter

Soomro

Joined Nov 20, 2012
Hi, I am a hobbyist and been trying to create a circuit however couldn't figure it out and hence seeking assistance from seniors.

Basically, we have a huge electricity break-down these days; I do have UPS and 1k Generator with me however I’ve just found that in absence of Electricity and UPS, it shows some amount of current and lights up fixed LED in the sockets. Yesterday, I try checking voltage using Volt meter and found that it was showing random values from 7.1v to 8.5; I didn't check amperes as last time it burnt my volt meter.

Anyhow, I want to utilize this ~7.5 volts using an inverter circuit for running fan or bulb or whatever is possible; I know this is unfair if not illegal and I don’t plan to use this for long period, this is just for learning purpose and would help me in understanding working with AC current which I haven’t actually worked with.

Can anyone tell me why this ~7.5v are actually coming? And how do I check amps and can you draw me a schematic of inverter which I can actually make myself and use for educational purpose.

Johann

Joined Nov 27, 2006
Hi, I am a hobbyist and been trying to create a circuit however couldn't figure it out and hence seeking assistance from seniors.

Basically, we have a huge electricity break-down these days; I do have UPS and 1k Generator with me however I’ve just found that in absence of Electricity and UPS, it shows some amount of current and lights up fixed LED in the sockets. Yesterday, I try checking voltage using Volt meter and found that it was showing random values from 7.1v to 8.5; I didn't check amperes as last time it burnt my volt meter.

Anyhow, I want to utilize this ~7.5 volts using an inverter circuit for running fan or bulb or whatever is possible; I know this is unfair if not illegal and I don’t plan to use this for long period, this is just for learning purpose and would help me in understanding working with AC current which I haven’t actually worked with.

Can anyone tell me why this ~7.5v are actually coming? And how do I check amps and can you draw me a schematic of inverter which I can actually make myself and use for educational purpose.
If you mean you measure this 7.5 to 8.5V from your mains supply sockets, this does not mean a thing! There will always be some induced voltage due to the proximity of the power conductors to other live conductors and that is probably what you are reading on your meter. The moment you try to load it, it will disappear. Anyway, this sounds like a very dangerous plan that you have! Think what is going to happen if the power comes on suddenly while you have some device connected to it!

The fact that you blew your "voltmeter" tells me you had it on Amps selection and measured volts! It might be a good idea if you first read the instruction manual and study some electrical theory. Electricity can kill and is not friendly towards you if you short it out with an ammeter. Amps is read with the ammeter IN-LINE with the load, while Voltage is read ACROSS the supply or the load. Be careful!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The request is not clear. Where is the power coming from (wall socket, UPS?) and are you sure it's DC?

Bottom line with any project like this - you have to specify the load you want to power and the source of energy you have to power it. The hardware you build in between will then be tailored to the source and the load. You can only guess without those details specified.