Small Fixed Inductor Unavailable?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
How about it F-word doesnt matter just put in any decent part of that kind? You waste time. Thats what I would tell you if you are on a job.

I dont say you have it but autistic people insist on irrelevant details and they are rude and aggressive too for no reason. As well they dont listen if you tell them things.

Lonelynewyorker

Joined Aug 29, 2014
How about it F-word doesnt matter just put in any decent part of that kind? You waste time. Thats what I would tell you if you are on a job.

I dont say you have it but autistic people insist on irrelevant details and they are rude and aggressive too for no reason. As well they dont listen if you tell them things.
doesnt matter just put in any decent part of that kind?
great advice.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
doesnt matter just put in any decent part of that kind?
great advice.
yup. it very likely makes no difference. when you repair a thing like this you have to understand what the part does (I do actually), if not, you are not able to understand advice.

How about just trying 8.2 first then 4.7 or otherwise round?

8.2 or 8.7 makes no actual difference it's not a FM tuner.

I already said it is likely for noise filtering (could be just bridged perhaps), and the fact it is burned makes it very likely there is more damage.

If you have the board in front of you why dont you test the pins and write this information?

Instead you copy from the manual a very large image, info I already wrote.

Lonelynewyorker

Joined Aug 29, 2014
nah i threw it away. i seen it inside it was some very thing gauge coper wire. anyways i tested the ic to ground. the only place that tested continuity was the pin marked ground on the chip. PIN 16, or neither of the holes where the inductor was test for continuity at ground....

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
ah great. Sorry if I offended you. But the other end must go somewhere? How about poking a wire through it + make a photo from it. If it is too difficult to search yourself where it goes.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
its a multilayer. on the top side (3 holes) it goes into another layer (very likely a power supply layer).
On the other side it does connect to the left side capacitor.

My guess is the local supply for the FDC is filtered through the inductor.

it is too large and has too high DCR, or the FDC is damaged too.

There is no other purpose I can think of that makes sense.
8.2mH should be fine but I'd use a small potcore (they have much thicker wire).

Panasonic makes them. you can try but chances are the chip isnt OK too.
You can try with the floppy pulled off, and measure the current the chip takes, if any,
with a new inductor.

Value doesnt really matter much.

So this is my opinion.

Lonelynewyorker

Joined Aug 29, 2014
its a multilayer. on the top side (3 holes) it goes into another layer (very likely a power supply layer).
On the other side it does connect to the left side capacitor.

My guess is the local supply for the FDC is filtered through the inductor.

it is too large and has too high DCR, or the FDC is damaged too.

There is no other purpose I can think of that makes sense.
8.2mH should be fine but I'd use a small potcore (they have much thicker wire).

Panasonic makes them. you can try but chances are the chip isnt OK too.
You can try with the floppy pulled off, and measure the current the chip takes, if any,
with a new inductor.

Value doesnt really matter much.

So this is my opinion.
do you have a link to a suitable product?

b1u3sf4n09

Joined May 23, 2014
chances are if it has just burned out, something else is damaged too.
I'd really just try 8200uH or 4700uH, guess maybe it is used as a filter coil.
RF inductors with 8200uH have a fairly high Dc resistance actually.
I think takao21203 said it well. Throw another equivalent inductor in there, and see what happens. If the inductor pops, then you know it's UPD72069.

You can use either the 8.2 mH inductor, or two 4.7 mH inductors in series (9.4 mH).