Small electric motor for slow spinning disk

Lance Corlett

Joined Feb 8, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am an artist which knows absolutely nothing about the electrical world, and I am trying to create 2 small slow spinning disks which sit behind my artwok.

Ive attached a pictures of my attempt and also the gearbox Ive used - This panel attaches to the back of my artwork - 2 x electric motor powering a lowest ratio gearbox which I attach my spinning panel to. (one attached, one is not)

To my surprise I actually got it to work however it is extremely noisy and does not spin slow enough. Is there another way to achieve this where I could even control the speed?

Thanks in advance,

Lance

gearbox.JPG current model.JPG

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A simple way is to just lower the supply voltage to the required rpm.
e.g, if it is a 6v motor try 3v, you could test this with batteries first if mains powered supply.
Max.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
How slow is slow?
The turntable motor from a microwave oven does about 20rpm and is almost silent. However, it needs mains power, not a battery supply.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
You may be able to reduce the noise by putting some sheet rubber or other isolation between the motor and the plywood to reduce the vibrations transferred from the motor to the plywood.

Lance Corlett

Joined Feb 8, 2016
Thanks guys all very helpful. I think I will try halving the voltage and putting some rubber slips in. If that fails I will probably just try find someone who knows what they are doing and pay them

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
What rpm do you need? A belt drive with a high ratio would be much quieter than a plastic gearbox. That's how a typical turntable used to work.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Rubber mount the motors- and note that gear noise can come from the shaft itself.
You might want to rubber isolate the disk from the motor shaft too.

DC gear motors tend to be noisy, but that's where you are when it needs to run on battery power.