Small coreless motor, CW or Anti CW rotation?

John Berry

Joined May 17, 2016
Motor 2.jpg

Good evening people,
I have been looking on YouTube but couldn't find an answer :(
One of my anti clockwise rotation motors has packed in on my drone & all I have in my spare parts is a clockwise motor!
I was wondering if I could just connect the CW motor swapping the wires so that it rotates ACW? or would this just damage the motor.
Basically can these small motors run in both directions, or are they specifically CW and ACW?
Black & White wires ACW motor - Red & Blue wires CW motor
Thank you.. John :)

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
View attachment 156250 Good evening people,
I have been looking on YouTube but couldn't find an answer :(
One of my anti clockwise rotation motors has packed in on my drone & all I have in my spare parts is a clockwise motor!
I was wondering if I could just connect the CW motor swapping the wires so that it rotates ACW? or would this just damage the motor.
Basically can these small motors run in both directions, or are they specifically CW and ACW?
Black & White wires ACW motor - Red & Blue wires CW motor
Thank you.. John :)
As dendad says brushed motors can be reversed by reversing the connections but I doubt that those motors are brushed.
You say that there are clockwise and anti-clockwise motors and these motors have different coloured wires and this says to me that they are not reversible. Reversing the wire connections will probably damage the motor.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
It's all down to whether it has brushes or not. The motor you show has brushes.
If the TS's motor has brushes and it is reversible then I can't see them making separate clockwise and anti-clockwise motors identified by different coloured wires.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Model brushless motors I have seen have three wires. Colored wires may just be labels to help assemblers -- like it would probably be a mistake to ship thousands of inexpensive drones with half the motors going backwards relative to the desired direction right out of the box.

Reverse the leads and see what happens.

John Berry

Joined May 17, 2016
As dendad says brushed motors can be reversed by reversing the connections but I doubt that those motors are brushed.
You say that there are clockwise and anti-clockwise motors and these motors have different coloured wires and this says to me that they are not reversible. Reversing the wire connections will probably damage the motor.
Ok thanks for your quick reply.. :)

John Berry

Joined May 17, 2016
DC Brushed.
Bi-directional.
Did you do the rotational test?
Max.
Hi Max thanks for getting back to me.
Yes I did the test, I put the motor in my cordless drill and tested forward and reverse, I then swapped the wires round & did the same test.
All 4 results where the same 38mV.. :)
So I think we can safely say that the motors are the same, and maybe colour coded for assembly purposes as jpanhalt mentioned.
Thanks again Max, and everyone else that has contributed.. :)

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
So I think we can safely say that the motors are the same,
..... except that the brush faces appear asymmetrical. This may well be due to wear resulting from rotation in one direction, but could they have started life like that intentionally, to offer some benefit when run in a predetermined direction?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Brushes do need to be seated. It happens naturally while running. When brushed motors were still used for model airplane propulsion (1990's), the seating was speeded up by running them under water in the intended direction. If you do that be sure any ball bearings are sealed and/or well dried afterwards.

Torbek

Joined Apr 19, 2019
Hi Max thanks for getting back to me.
Yes I did the test, I put the motor in my cordless drill and tested forward and reverse, I then swapped the wires round & did the same test.
All 4 results where the same 38mV.. :)
So I think we can safely say that the motors are the same, and maybe colour coded for assembly purposes as jpanhalt mentioned.
Thanks again Max, and everyone else that has contributed.. :)
I think you will find the only difference will be the direction the brushes wrap round the commutator. For demanding applications this will possibly effect lifespan or performance, maybe both. I really cannot see them selling the different configurations for nothing. In fact I'll be certain of it.