Slowing down the ceiling fan with a incandescent light bulb as a resistor

I didn't get any of that after the second sentence, even after checking a dictionary for 3 of the words. :eek::confused:
Ok, I'll play!:D --- "Abstract vs empirical", in the intended context, roughly equates to the following (order insignificant):

-Theoretical vs practical
-Scientific vs vocational
-Academic vs 'hands on'

Pedestrian enough for you?;););)

TTFN
HP:)

No. To whom are you referring?
Perhaps the missing referent is that Martinez is in Mexico.
Say what? Now I'm confused?:confused: My response (post #21) assumed your post (#19) was a response to my post (#18) --- IOW I thought you were 'ribbing' me for a pompous 'logophile' again?:)

Best regards
HP

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Thus it seems 'abstract' and 'empirical' were not the 'problem'? --- Please point me to the imperspicuous text/passage and I'll do my best to elucidate:)

Best regards
HP
I looked up the words but I don't understand why the cited lexical disparity (HP uses words unfamiliar to an American and a Mexican) would be caused by a theoretical as opposed to an experiential personal history.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Funny enough... I know the etymology of all the words you've used... it's the context that sometimes I find confusing.
Funny enough...I find the sentence structure of Spanish more difficult than the sentence structure of German!
Spanish is almost like thinking in Latin.

I looked up the words but I don't understand why the cited lexical disparity (HP uses words unfamiliar to an American and a Mexican) would be caused by a theoretical as opposed to an experiential personal history.
You 'objected' to my use of the phrase 'inductive reactor' (as opposed, perhaps, to 'coil' or, merely, 'inductor') hence my speculation that said disparity (of terminology) owed to my (principally) scientific/academic (as opposed to practical) background...

HP is British.
Although I attended school and spent my 'formative' years in Britain, I hail from (and currently reside) in N. America (Spec. USA)

Best regards
HP

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You 'objected' to my use of the phrase 'inductive reactor'
No, I did not object. Martinez seemed uncertain in post #14, so I clarified for my Mexican friend. However, I do see now that you referred to your own background as academic vs, mechanical.

Are you having difficulties with carrying on 3 conversations at once? Possibly delusions of reference? :D

ps, I hope you don't mind me saying you are British. You certainly speak more like a Brit than a Yank.

Last edited:
Your style of speech would fit perfectly in an Arthur Connan Doyle book... see "The White Company"
My fave is "The Poison Belt":

" Our Gardener is, in my opinion, about to dip the solar system, and the human bacillus, the little mortal vibrio which twisted and wriggled upon the outer rind of the earth, will in an instant be sterilized out of existence..."

Great stuff!...:)

Best regards
HP

No, I did not object. Martinez seemed uncertain in post #14, so I clarified for my Mexican friend.

Are you having difficulties with carrying on 3 conversations at once? Possibly delusions of reference? :D
I don't think so, however there seem to be definite 'focus' issues as regards the identity of the post in need of clarification (i.e. 12 or 18)?

Again: The gist of post 18 is just this: "My approach to electronics is scientific as opposed to technical -- hence my occasional use of 'unconventional' terms" ...K? :)

ps, I hope you don't mind me saying you are British. You certainly speak more like a Brit than an American.
Jolly good, old bean! :D