Slot car digital controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

dante1

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I’m a slot car nut and I would like to build a digital controller. Instead of designing a new controller I wonder if anybody on here has done it.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I’m a slot car nut and I would like to build a digital controller. Instead of designing a new controller I wonder if anybody on here has done it.
It's been a long time since I played with slot cars. :(
The controllers I remember were just a big variable resistor. If they are still the same it seems like you could do a PWM controller (if that's what you mean by digital). I'm not sure there is an advantage, but it could be done.:)
Where do you live that there is a slot car track? I want to move there!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you want to go with a PWM controller here's a fairly simple one that can go from 0% duty-cycle (off) to 100% duty-cycle (totally on) using a pot control or with a voltage input.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
It's been a long time since I played with slot cars. :(
The controllers I remember were just a big variable resistor. If they are still the same it seems like you could do a PWM controller (if that's what you mean by digital). I'm not sure there is an advantage, but it could be done.:)
Where do you live that there is a slot car track? I want to move there!

There was a nice sized one near me. It was open for years. I never got around to going. It finally closed a few years ago.

I think the new slot cars are now steerable to hence the advanced controls.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
There was a nice sized one near me. It was open for years. I never got around to going. It finally closed a few years ago.

I think the new slot cars are now steerable to hence the advanced controls.
Holy cow, I guess I am getting old.:(
A friend & I built indestructible power supplies for some.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I am finding lots and lots of posts on the same subject in various forums with similar questions to yours but no finished projects. Looks like most people are using the PWM out from an Arduino and a mosfet. Should not be too hard to do.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
I just posted one not too long ago,
Here it is if you're interested ..................
If You don't understand how it works just ask .
Slot Car Control FLAT .png

Status
Not open for further replies.