Site kicking me off when I select Forum.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Again, every time I click on Forum I am logged out and taken to forum. This is annoying. It seems to happen a couple of times for hours at a time every month.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Have you tried book marking the forum. My index is my home page.

I don't use it often, but is one mouse click away, when I do.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
No, I haven't. It is really odd even though when I click on forum it brings up the screen with the login in the menu bar if I click on one of the forums under the forum menu I am still logged in. And it doesn't happen but only a couple times a month and when it does it persists for hours. It may be due to the number of people on the forum??? Now, it isn't doing it. I don't shut my computer down to allow unattended updates during the wee hours and I haven't cleared my browser memory in quite a while since I have to re-enter a LOT of things when I do. Running WIN10 64bit home on an Alienware Aurora R6 w/ 32gig memory. It is annoying but not an app killer.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Moderators don't have any permissions to mess with XenForo setups, at this level we are just users with a little extra authority. I personally use Firefox on my two computers. Do you use the blue setup or the orange in the forum? I'll tag @bertus for you.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Using the Orange with Night Eye to kill all the bright white. And no, Night Eye has no effect on the issue.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
If I am the only one having this issue then it certainly points back at me and my end.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm not tracking exactly what you are having problems with. Whenever I go to the AAC Home Page (the page above the forums) it shows I am not logged in (and gives me the hideous orange schema). But if I select the Forums link then I am back in the forums pages and I am still logged in (with the pleasing blue schema).

You may just be getting an occasional network error that is causing a redirect up to the main page requiring you to navigate back down. Could be on either end, but if it is happening to you much more often than to most people, it is more likely on your side of the fence. Usually when there is an issue for me that is on the AAC side I can't connect at all. It usually fixes itself in a few minutes (sometimes almost immediately), but I have had a few times that it's take a few hours to sort itself out.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I use the fluid setup because it is much easier on my eyes, When AAC switched over to XenoForo, they went orange, while I'm sure it made the Texas A&M fans happy I hated it. In the scheme of things it doesn't matter.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hello,

@SamR , Wich browser are you using?
Did you clear the cache and cookies and history from the browser?

Bertus
I absolutely HATE it when I have to resort to this to try to fix a problem. I'm more than willing to clear things specific to the site that is causing me problems, but I have a number of cookies for other sites that I don't want to lose. Why does it seems like it's all-or-nothing? It seems like I should be able to tell my browser to reset cache and cookies for the site in a particular tab and have it handle identifying and clearing out the related cache/cookies.

@bertus: Do you happen to know which cookies are specific to AAC? I'm guessing no because it seems like finding this information is hard even for the people that set up a site in the first place.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I'm using the MS Edge browser that comes with WIN10 and after I initially log in to the site through the "front door" and get to the main menu bar it shows my Avatar picture in the upper right and I click on the Forum menu dropdown to scan the forums. I leave the site up and work on other things and come back to the site and click on the Forum dropdown tab and it then shows LogIn where the Avatar was. I login and click on the Forums tab and once again the LogIn appears on the menu bar. I can drop down the Forum menu and select a forum and I will be still logged in. What it doesn't do is allow me to view any alerts under my avatar since it isn't there and only has the LogIn tab instead. It only happens a couple of times a month but when it does it persists for several hours. No, I haven't cleared my browser but next time it happens I will and see what happens after.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Just to follow up... Happening now and I cleared the browser memory and still happens. Hopefully, the upgrade makes it go away.