single phase inverter using SPWM, IGBT and IR2110 driver

Chong Chi Hou

Joined Jan 26, 2016
Hi,

I'm currently working on single phase using 2 IR 2110 drivers and 4 IGBT (IRGB4615D). My full bridge design is shown in the attachment below.
However, there are some value changes due to my project.
1) Mosfets are tested first before with IGBTs.
2) The 300V supplied to the upper Mosfets is replaced with 12V dc input.
3) The diodes (D1 - D6) are normal 1N4007 diode, not a superfast switching diode, UF4007.
4) 12V supply for IR2110 is generated from a 12V battery while 12V supply that replace 300V in the schematic, is directly supplied from a DC generator.
5) Hin 1 and Lin1 are inverted SPWM of each other, same as Hin2 and Lin2. But, the SPWM for Hin1 and 2 are different.
6) SPWM signals are all generated from Arduino UNO, using Matlab's SimPower system simulink block.

Here's the problem!
When I finish constructing the components on the breadboard and the power supplies are ON, the DC generator shows the sign of short circuit. I've tried to troubleshoot the problem by taking off the load and test the signal output from each driver. But the signals seem okay to, no turning on at the same time for upper and lower Mosfets at both sides. So, I try to further simplify the circuit into half bridge. The half bridge circuit is basically taking another half part of the full bridge circuit away since both sides are identical.

When troubleshooting the half bridge circuit, it also gives me short circuit sign when I connect a load in parallel to the lower Mosfet. I have oscilloscope and it shows that the gate signals for both Mosfet do not collide with each other. However, the gate signals are read before entering the Gate terminal of the Mosfets.

So, I wanna ask is there a need for implementing deadtime for SPWM? If YES, any suggestion to implement them in electronical way besides programming?
Is it the diodes I use are normal diodes but not fast switching diodes?
Or, anyone who faced this problem before, can suggest few solutions or share your experience to me?

Thank you.

Attachments

Chong Chi Hou

Joined Jan 26, 2016
Forgot to mention, the resistive loads that I have tried with are 10, 100 and 1k ohm. They give me result of short circuiting for both half and full bridge configurations.

Shreyansg2

Joined Mar 24, 2016
Have you used any optocoupler in you circuit for isolation. Would the driver circuit will remain same if i switches with mosfet irf 840. Wouls this circuit work fine with that?.

HW-nut

Joined May 12, 2016
Nothing jumps out at me except the resistors between the gate and source are very low. This will effect the maximum on time for the high-side mosfets.

I would recommend isolating the mpu from the gate drive/ 300V supply.

Last edited:

HW-nut

Joined May 12, 2016
I did not see any pull-down resisters on the mosfet gate drivers.

The Arduino I/O signals default to an input with a soft pull-up. This would cross conduct the H-bridge when the MPU is in reset and until the registers are configured.

Last edited:

Shreyansg2

Joined Mar 24, 2016
Yes, you can use an optocoupler to isolate a gate driver. Just take a close look at speed and use an optocoupler with a totem-pole output configuration.
i implemented the opto coupler and driver it worked fine while seeing output of driver i could only see low side gate pulse i could not see high side gate pulse can you tell me reason why?.