single phase full bridge inverter Using SCR

Samuel Appiah

Joined Mar 30, 2016
Hello I need help with building this circuit in the image. Im not sure how to execute this project; I know I will need a microcontroller to trigger the gates on the Scr but is that all I need? Can I get some Guidance? upload_2016-4-13_18-24-45.png

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Actually a standard PWM driver IC like the old SG3524 with a the proper optocouplers or a four-way pulse transformer would easily control the SCR's firing order.

As for proper commutation, to get them to shut off when the opposite units fire, that would take a bit more work and involve some specific inductors in series with each device and at least two low ESR commutation capacitors in the circuit to make each SCR shut off when it's needed.

It's doable but given modern switching devices like Transistor, Mosfet and IGBT devices cost about the same as power SCR's of comparable ratings are easy to acquire and far simpler to control reliably I would use them and skip the SCR useage and the need to design their associated commutation inductor and capacitor circuits all together.