Single phase equipment on split phase?

the_uglydog

Joined Aug 5, 2020
Hi, I know most things designed for single phase, (230v one hot, one neutral, one ground) will work OK on split phase (two 110 lines and ground) although some things designed for US type 220v split phase won't work on 230v single phase. I need to use a 230 volt single phase zero export controller on my 220 volt split phase (US type) system. Does anyone know if something like that would work OK. It senses the voltage/amperage flowing from/to the utility and regulates the output from the solar. We are in The Philippines but we use the US style split phase.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I see no problem with connecting the hot and neutral from the controller to the two 230V hot wires from the split-phase and connecting the ground to the safety ground.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I agree, the device does not 'know' the difference between the two systems, IOW it cannot detect when one side is a grounded neutral.
Max.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
One concern may be if that device intended for a single 230 volt system, with 230 volts on one side, and neutral on the other side, does not have adequate isolation between it's internal neutral side and the frame, which would be connected to the safety (Green wire) ground. So you should investigate that with a voltmeter before using the controller. Hopefully the isolation is adequate.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Having worked in the N.A. & the UK systems, the practices for device and appliance wiring are the same, IOW the wiring of the neutral conductor in the device is treated in the same fashion as the live conductor.
Max.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
This is Philippines power, double check everything. Most of the country is a single 230 volt system but some parts (I've only seen it near of Metro Manila) use split-phase. A mix of 120 volt receptacles connected to 230 volts with varying neutral and ground connections in the same household is unfortunately possible.
philippines-electical-4.gif

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Yes, MAX, that is the way it SHOULD BE. But I have seen items that are not built anywhere near what should be. That is the reason that I suggested doing a check.

the_uglydog

Joined Aug 5, 2020
You got that right! The Philippines! Some real scary stuff here, main feeds spliced just by twisting the wires together and taping them, utility grounds twisted onto rebar, etc. We have the US system here, I just finished rewiring the entire property so it is somewhat up to US code. I rather thought the controller would work since most everything here will work on the US system if it's made for 230 hot/neutral. The only thing I've seen that won't work is the other way around, I have some Mabe a/c units designed for the US system that won't work on the 230 hot/neutral. Thanks, I need to install the zero export for Growatt inverters but the US version isn't available only the single phase for the 230 hot/neutral 50/60hz. I tried one from Elgris but it won't even communicate with the inverter. I appreciate all the help. That's about it. the dog